VideoStudio 7, NTFS and filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VideoStudio 7, NTFS and filters

I installed VS7 trial to play with it until I get my upgrade to MSPRO7. I wanted to test the capture process and scene detect. According to the manual, VS7 is supposed to split files at 4Gb for FAT32 drives, but leave a large file for NTFS.
    It does not work for me, VS7 creates new files at 18:52:05 which is 4,193,347 bytes for PAL DV. I wonder if I am missing something, some menu setting or hidden .ini entry. I am running XP Home and 4 partitions. Only C: is Fat32 (Win98 backup boot), all others including capture drive and system drive are NTFS. Maybe VS7 only looks at C: to determine the file system in use?

Apart from that, the "global Filter" option in MSPRO7 did not make it to VS7, which is too bad. My tapes don't come out 100%, so I have to apply a "Hue & Saturation" filter to all the small pieces manually. Can't wait for MSPRO7...

There are always a few things missing in the trials so this may be one of 'em.

As for MSPro7

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 February 2003, 15:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

This "global filter" thingy is the reason I still use Avisynth for all filtering and scaling. If all footage originates from the same device it simply makes sense to correct luminance/chrominance/noise with a global filter. Moreover, Avisynth enables me to use the same source material settings for different outputs (avi, vcd, svcd, dvd) by simply swapping the Avisynth script and leaving everything else untouched. It even handles audio sample rate conversion.

This way I can simply work full-size (720x576) and in SRGB (0-255) color space and do all color and size conversions in the rendering phase. Come to think of it, Edwin van Eggelen has his frameserver ready for Ulead products. If I'm not mistaken, it can also frameserve to Avisynth.
      Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

You can also frameserve TMPGEnc using VideoServer and use its filters/scaling/delacers. In TMPGEnc you can also encode to MPEG or render to an installed *.avi codec.

I particularly like a couple of TMPGEnc's many delacers.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I prefer to do it in AviSynth because it allows the use of VirtualDub filters. "DNR" is in my opinion still the best non-blurring denoiser around.

Comment

Will AviSynth take a DV input stream?

I just finished a project with Videoserver frameserving to tmpgenc from MSPRO 6.5 and that worked beautifully, thanks Dr. Mordrid.

Fred

Comment

You're welcome

I also have some good news for you:

VideoServer works in VideoStudio7.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

AFAIK, AviSynth by itself will take any Directshow or VFW stream for which a codec is installed. Just specify DirectShowSource() or AviSource() in the script.

Comment

VideoServer allows you to either use its AVIwrapper or use AVISynth as the actual server.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                  X