Marvel G400 - worth a try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400 - worth a try?

So, I have the opportunity to change for small price my vanilla G400 SH 16 mb to marvel g400. But I'm using winXP (win2k I could also...) and there are many threads about problems after reading wchich I have now complete mess in my head about the issue...
    So I'm asking not for technical help, but just for simple answers for fallowing questions:
    - does marvel work at all in win2k/XP? (kidding :P)
    - can I watch tv with external applications (not only with matrox one)?
    - can I capture video at all?
    - can I capture video using MJPEG?
    - is this solution after some tricks to make it working stable, reliable and non-problematic?

And finally: is this still worth it? Or is it just better to go the pci addon card way (like
    this one)?

I wouldn´t go through the hassle of getting stable capturing in W2K or XP anymore. Me thinks it isn´t worth the effort compared to purchasing a PCI add-on tuner/capture card, working on WDM drivers.
    Yet I do have to say: if the price is modest enough, get the Marvel and use it as your average graphics card, the excellent TV-output is worth it!
    -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
    2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    Matrox Parhelia 128
    Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
    Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
    Maxtor 300 GB for video
    Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
    Win XP Pro

At work:
    Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
    Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

I guess if no more answers than everybody agree...

Comment

I would agree. I've scrapped Marvel and get my analogue in/out via a Canopus ADVC-100 and IEEE-1394. Much easier, no hassle, excellent.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Now, just to be the odd one out here.

If you get it at a nice price I would definitely go for it. Say about €40 or so.

I currently still use it. At the moment with a w2k OS with simple and easy installation using some of the G450eTV drivers. Has been stable since first installation about almost 1.5 years ago now. Never been reinstalled, never crashed, never BSOD'd on me either. Stable part for me is important as I also have a VIA KT266a chipset MB which has been known for a few inconsistencies here and there.

This in combination with TMPGEnc, the HuffYUV codec and AVI-IO is unbeatable for me at least. Very nice quality for me personal VCD's/SVCD's. Excellent fullscreen TV out retaining your computer monitors refresh frequency and the TV's 50Hz.

The only thing lacking for me is that some of the newer games are not very nice with this one, e.g. NFSHP2, etc. There you can clearly see that the G400 lacks in support for the features of these games.

If your thinking of editing for a living as some of the people on this forum do I woul suggest going for a more professional card.

Regards, Leon

Comment

Working...
          X