No announcement yet.

Canopus ADVC-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be a firmware codec inside the black box, but the input/output DV stream is compatible with any DV codec (such as MC and MS). There is no software supplied with the box, nor any needed.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
      There is no software supplied with the box, nor any needed.
      When you apply a transition or special effect to your video, your NLE must be calling on a codec to create the new frames. Which codec are you using if none came with the ADVC-100? Could the editing software be calling on the hardware codec across the FireWire connection? Reason I ask is that there has been lots of talk here about how lame the M$ DV codec is...

BTW, I've looked at the VCDhelp website's DTV solution reviews and the ADVC-100 is far and away the most highly rated product there. It's got me thinking about purchasing one.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Frank Marshall; 30 April 2003, 21:25.
      Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Frank

You may use any DV codec to render your DV file. If I'm in a hurry, I use the MS one but I also use the MC DV codec.

The MS one is not as bad as many would like to say -- there is a lot of prejudice (not unjustified) just because it is MS. The difference between MS and MC is very marginal, noticeable mostly with less noticeable artifacting on fast movements.

The ADVC-100 will accept any DV stream and convert it to analogue.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
        X