Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI 746F Ultra - Anyone got one? - In Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI 746F Ultra - Anyone got one? - In Canada?

Hi,

After a couple calls to local computer stores, I'm starting to think this board isn't available yet. I'm in Canada (near Toronto).

I am looking for a no-frills mainboard that is above-all-else RELIABLE. I'm starting to think I should just get a SIS 745-based board instead, either from MSI or AOpen (which has served me well in the past).

Also, anyone care to comment on DDR 400? Reviews suggest it's safer to buy DDR 333, since a lot of DDR 400 was manufactured pre-spec and there may be compatibility issues. It would be nice to get USB 2.0 and feel more future-proof. But the more I think about it, all I want is a reliable system for video editing with my G400.

John

I have one here, and I just did my wedding video over the weekend. Its nice, stable and at last check not much o/c ability in the bios. (no multiplier settings or voltage mod - fsb is adjustable though).

I have hard modded it to o/c but that's for other purposes.

Basically, worked well, no weird motherboard glitches - all was happy. I'm running a 2400+ at 2700+ spec (thanks to some board mods) and it runs fine at the 166fsb. I am using DDR 333, I didn't have the money at the time to get the 400, and reviews state that its a little slower in asynchronous mode, so I think 333 would be the safer bet.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

What mods did you do. Just curious as I have the ASRock K7S8X board.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hotwired the back of the socket, so i could select the multiplers, and lifted a few pins on the power regulator so I could over volt it.

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Assuming the Iwill K7S3-N is a good board, it could be an excellent alternative.
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
          X