Marvel G200 RIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G200 RIP?

Well, it looks as if my trusty old Marvel G200 has finally bitten the dust. Here are the symptoms. Let's see if you concur or maybe you can steer me in the right direction:

The system in question: Athlon 1200, Abit KT7A. TBSC, Win98 FE, Dx 8.1, PD 5.41, VT 1.52.

Out of the blue (meaning when I shut down it was fine and when I restarted it wasn't) the tv tuner insists on being set to Secam. I can manually set it to NTSC but it still won't detect any channels when I auto-scan.

In addition, it sends a loud, distracting static into the line input of the TBSC soundcard.

I can get a good picture from a vtr over the composite inputs, but the audio still has that nasty hiss.

Re-installing the drivers has no effect.

If I don't install Video Tools, it works just fine as a display adapter and PowerDVD still works fine.

So I'm thinking the TV tuner has surrendered the spirit. I haven't tried swapping the BOB with this system's Marvel G400 and I'm not inclined to unless someone does a really good job of convincing me I won't screw this system up as well!

Thanks

Kevin

According to Haig, the BOB for Marvel G400 and G200 are one and the same. So you can use it for testing purposes without problems. If that's what you were worried about as per post

If of course, you are worried about your confidence, then you should really try the Lounge.

J1NG

Comment

BOB is dead (sniff ) Oh, well. Off to eBay I go...

Now the question is what killed BOB? (actually I have a working theory, but I sure as Hell am NOT going to TEST it!)

Kevin

Comment

Pls, inform us about your theory.

Comment

I suspect that It might have been caused by feedback of some kind when I hooked up my receiver's speaker outputs to my soundcard to record some LPs. I have a splitter sending the soundcard's output to the video/aux-in on the receiver, and to the audio input on the Marvel. Another splitter provides soundcard input for the Marvel and whatever else I might plug in. I wanted to use the tape output on the receiver but I'd need a pre-amp to boost the level for recording.

So I'm thinking maybe the speaker signal fed back into the Marvel somehow and burned out something important. But this is exactly how I had it hooked up with another receiver up until not so long ago, with no problems. So maybe the BOB croaking was just a ghastly coincidence (or the damage was cumulative...).

Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X