MediaStudio Pro DVD-VR & DVD-RAM Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaStudio Pro DVD-VR & DVD-RAM Test

When I recorded to DVD-RAM using a Panasonic DMR-E30 stand alone DVD recorder, that unit created a folder on the DVD-RAM disc.

The folder included a .VRO file that I copied to my hard drive and renamed to display an .MPG extension instead of a .VRO file extension.

From there, I could edit in MediaStudio Pro.

Now, I've used the built-in DVD-VR Wizard in MediaStudio Pro 7.0 to create the same type of folder on my Panasonic LF-D321 drive.

But each time I try to rename the .VRO file, I am denied.

It retains the .VRO file extension.

So, at first glance, it doesn't seem possible to edit this in MediaStudio Pro 7.0.

Terry, I'm not quite sure how to edit this file.

Any ideas?

Or is it not possible?

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!
    Last edited by Jerry Jones; 9 May 2003, 14:33.

Ironically, the .VRO file is read easily by Panasonic's DVD-MovieAlbumSE software and can be edited.

I'd prefer to do the editing in MediaStudio Pro, however.

It seems the DVD-VR Capture Plug-In of MediaStudio Pro looks for a USB connection.

It doesn't seem to recognize DVD-VR files already residing on a DVD-RAM disc in a DVD-R/DVD-RAM drive.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Jerry,

The DVD-VR capture plugin works fine here with my Panasonic burner, which is on the primary master of a Promise Ultra/133 IDE controller.

I just use the Capture Video/Optioins/Properties button to access the DVD-VR/RAM disk in the burner as if it were a DVD folder. Once it reads the DVD_RTAV folder it puts up thumbnails. Then you select the chapters you want and it converts them to .MPG's on your HDD in the folder defined as the File location.

These can be re-edited in MSPro7 or loaded into DVDMF/DVDWS for re-authoring.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 May 2003, 13:04.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Okay. That information helped immensely, Doc.

I clicked on CAPTURE>VIDEO and then the BROWSE button to get to the DVD-RAM drive.

Then I clicked on the folder that says DVD_RTAV, as you explained.

It sort of paused and acted like it wasn't going to read the contents of the folder... but when I tried this earlier... it didn't work because the entry line had the extension ".mpg" as its default entry.

When I changed this .MPG entry to .VRO... PRESTO!

IT WORKED!

I then 'captured' the .VRO and saved it as an MPEG back to the hard drive for editing.

I dropped it into a new project for editing.

I matched the PROJECT SETTINGS 702 X 480 AC-3 CBR@8000 to the attributes of the video.

SMART RENDER works great!

So you *can* edit MPEG saved using the DVD-VR method of stand alone Panasonic DVD recorders.

This is very cool because you can store video on DVD-RAM discs and then edit the material later, if absolutely necessary, and SMART RENDER will prevent too much re-rendering to maintain quality.

Jerry Jones
        Last edited by Jerry Jones; 9 May 2003, 14:34.

Comment

That's the thing about MSPro7: the more you work with it the more you keep finding all these cool little nuggets

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Guess what?

Ulead VIDEOSTUDIO 7.0 has this same functionality.

I just tested it.

The DVD-VR plug-in can be made to work by following basically the same steps as were described earlier in the thread for MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0.

Jerry Jones
            I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
            X