Analog Output quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Output quality?

I'm shopping around for editing solutions, and I'm leaning toward either the RT2500 or the X10 packages.

I'm looking for info on how well these products produce output to an analog tape (8mm or VHS). We want to sell tapes as home videos or as public access, and want good quality on them.

With our current setup, I'll only have analog video source as well.

If anyone has had any good/bad experiences with the quality, I'd like to read it.

Many thanks from a relative novice.

Scott.

I've only used the rtx10, but others here with the rtx100 may also add some input, as the quality would be identical.

I have only captured analog, from a sony Hi-8 handycam, and have found the output from the rtx10 almost indiscernable from the original.
    Your results would vary with the obviously with the recording quality of your VCR, as this would probably be your weakest link (8mm will produce better quality than VHS, and 8mm Hi-8 produces better quality than S-VHS).

A good suggestion would also be to use the svideo connection whenever possible as this definetly affects the quality.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

The output of these cards is quite good, though I'd recommend the RT.X100/10 over the RT-2500 unless you want to edit in MPEG-2...which the RT.X cards cannot do though the RT.X100 can capture and export MPEG-2.

I see little advantage in this given the low quality of realtime MPEG capture in general. I'd also recommend that for anything but consumer use you should invest in the RT.X100. It can do realtime MPEG and DV export to HDD (realtime DV to IEEE-1394 as well), which is a real timesaver...and time is $$.

This is a good time to go with the Matrox cards what with the new RT.X10 Xtra and RT.X100 Xtreme drivers coming out. These add a LOT of functionality, especially to the RT.X100...but some of the most useful features are already there: its realtime color correction and realtime auto white balance. These are indispensible when the lighting isn't consistant (when is it outside fo a studio?). Also very useful are the realtime chroma & luma keys.

In terms of the best recorder I'd strongly recommend a mid-level SVHS deck that has a built-in time base corrector (TBC). Besides laying down a perfect timebase SVHS decks of this level have better quality components than those found in VHS decks, which translates into better VHS recordings. I personally use JVC's.

Also important is to use a high quality tape (Maxell BQ or equivalent). These are a bit more expensive than your run of the mill store tapes (don't even go there!!), but they will deliver better results and last longer...important for repeat business.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 May 2003, 07:46.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

OK, here's another question....I'm learning here

How's Adobe Premier (or any other software product) for doing overdub commentary? Like commentary for a sports event. Does it work well with the software, or should we save a headache and just overdub to tape before importing to digital? I'd rather not have to sync the commentary back up with the live action.

Thanks again.
        Scott.
        Last edited by bloomer1975; 22 May 2003, 08:07.

Comment

Working...
        X