Is a NIC causing my problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a NIC causing my problems?

When the computer I am working on is plugged into the network, it is not playing the video output from a G-400 TV smooth, turning it off, and unplugging the network cable and then turning it on without the network connection fixes the problem.

I think that the vid card and NIC might be on the same IRQ, as well as the USB, sound card and maybe something else too!
    If I change that, will that fix the problem, or do I have to be disconnected from the network for stuff to work its best?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks,
    Steven

Speaking of conflicts, the video card does have 3 memory range conflicts with the Standard PCI PCI to PCI bridge(I am not sure its exact name..)
    Does that have something to do with anything?

[This message has been edited by Cheezwiz (edited 29 October 2000).]

For goodness sake, work on those conflicts. At the very least, your video card and your sound card must have their unique IRQs, IMHO. At the worst, either can share with USB **provided** you don't use it for any purpose. You can network OK if there are no conflicts. I do.

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

What you should do is set up a custom user profile with the NIC disabled just for editing. This will stop the NIC from using its resources and/or polling the network.

Due to the LARGE number of cards in my RT-2000 system I naturally have overlapping IRQ's. It can't be avoided. An editing-only user profile is the solultion.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Where would I set this profile up? Would it require a restart to choose profiles?

We use the network to send the files to other stations for editing, so minimum turnaround time from capturing to sending, and recieving to puting out, is necasary.

-Steven

Comment

From the "System Properties" dialog go to the "Hardware Profiles" tab, Copy the current profile and give it a name like "No Network". When you reboot you will be presented with a menu of Hardware Profiles to boot up. Select "No Network". After boot up, go back into "System Properties", "Device Manager". In the Network Adapters tree, find the entry for your NIC, display its properties and check the box labeled "Disable in this hardware profile."

-Anthony

[This message has been edited by A_BIT (edited 30 October 2000).]
          Anthony
          • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
          • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
          • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
          • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
          • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
          • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
          • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
          • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
          • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment

I had to do a lot of card slot swapping to find a combination that worked. Communication devices didn't work when sharing an IRQ, USB & nic needed to be seperated. My creative live card was the worst offender, only thing it shared well with was the nic card. If you don't use any USB devices shut it off in the bios. If you do consider getting a USB mouse and disableing the ps2 mouse in the bios.

------------------
            Mine: Epox EP-MVP3G5, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, K6-3/450, 256mb PC133, WD 10.2gb ATA66, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner
            Hers: Epox MVP3G-M, G200+TVout+DVD, K6-2/450 504@112, 128mb PC133, WD 8.4gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100
            Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
            Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Working...
            X