Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k sp4 vs win xp sp2

Hi!
    Some stupid move i've made in my perpetual drivers tweakin', lead to an unfixable Invalid Boot device error, in my Win2k sp3 startup.
    So, i'm reinstalling, but i'm not sure yet what to choose :
    - win2k sp4
    or
    - win xp sp2, stability and Matrox Marvel G400 capture vise .

Any sugestions?
    1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
    WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

XP is the best (I'm not working for Microsoft )

Comment

How about W2k SP2? It's rock stable and does not have the disadvantages of XP or the higher W2k SPs. I'm not changing from that for video work until I'm really forced under protest.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Microsoft did not release SP2 for Windows XP.
        But it is the OS I recommend.

Regards,
        Elie

Comment

Well, it would soon be availalble .. XP SP2 ... but i'm afraid of new bugs in exchange for bug fixes . Well whatever, i think i will go for XP. I have it at work and i found it a little bit faster, specially if i disable all those stupid animations and effects . Win2k really got dangerous after SP2 ... so i choose the future .
          1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,

Comment

Did you experiment with new VIA IDE drivers?
            Using the recovery console, locate and delete the driver for the IDE controller. It's somewhere in the directory
            C:\WINNT\system32\drivers and probably called viaide.sys;
            Windows will then revert to the standard driver atapi.sys (if present).
            Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Win2k and SP2 works fine for me. Even the sony dvd-recorder (DRU-500ax) which suggests the latest sp works ok. If you have an audigy sound card which supports dvd-audio then the sp3 is required, otherwise sp2 i think it will be ok.
              mits,
              System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
              model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

Flying Dutchman, i have a Intel 815 based mb, so i don't think i can use the via drivers I tried to disable the driver ... however i didn't delete it. This could be an idea ... I'll test it first .

Comment

How about W2k SP2? It's rock stable and does not have the disadvantages of XP or the higher W2k SPs. I'm not changing from that for video work until I'm really forced under protest
                  Can anyone remind me of the disadvantages of W2K SP3 ?

I vaguely remember reading something here about it when it was released, where several people were grumpily annoucing that they would not install it.

Something to do with digital rights management?

I've tried to use the forum search for W2K SP3 but it refuses to work unless your search term is at least 4 chars long.

Comment

They changed the EULA for SP3 to match pretty much that for WinXP IIRC.
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                    X