No announcement yet.

Okay, I'm ready to buy, TRV 900 or GL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I'm ready to buy, TRV 900 or GL1?

I'm leaning in the direction of the TRV 900 because of the higher resolution video and the ability to set recording levels, but I still feel the pull for the GL1's excellent lens and 30fps PS mode.

I would appreciate any comments on these cameras before I purchase.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Never having used either camera, I feel compelled to offer my unqualified 2 cents.

I use the Optura, and after having used Progressive Scan, I'd never go back. I wouldn't want to be limited to 15 fps.

A fella by the name of John Beale has done some great work on comparing features of these cameras.
    http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/ http://www.bealecorner.com/gl1/index.html

- Aryko

Comment

Aryko-

I read in one of the on-line mags that the Optura Pi had unbearable motor noise. How's your camera in this regard?

Do you always shoot in the PS mode? Why?
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

One consideration to ponder might be camera ergonomics. The GL1's built-in handle shouldn't be overlooked. I would guestimate that no less than 20% of my GL1 handheld shooting is done using the handle instead of the palmgrip. Having the different holding options results in a different "feel" to the footage.

i.e. On one carclub ride, the handle made it possible to "float" the camera outside the car below the windowsill for some nice ground-hugging shots. Having it point backwards in this fashion was also a cinch.

------------------
        Carter
        ------
        [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2
        Carter
        ------
        [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Hulk -

You can hear motor noise if you listen hard enough, though I must admit I haven't used the P.I. - just the older, better Optura.

You can attach an external mike if it bothers you enough, just clips on to the flash attachment.

I shoot in PS because I like the look - much different than regular interlaced video.

- Aryko

Comment

I have the new Optura Pi and I do not find the motor noise to be "unbearable." However, if you are listening for it, you are going to hear it.

There is an external microphone jack built
            into the camera. You can also connect special directional microphone to the built-in accessory shoe -- which is an option. So, if you want studio quality sound, you can get it.

I looked at all of the Sonys and Canons, including the Elura, Elura 2, Optura and Optura Pi and decided that the latter was the best of the bunch.

I am not sure why Aryko prefers the older
            one (Optura). I guess if you like the
            SLR style, you might like it. Personally,
            I find the Optura Pi more comfortable to
            hold with one hand for a longer period of time and it is very modular -- lots of places to plug in various accessories and they are well organized. I also like having the VCR controls directly on the LCD screen.

I was at a party recently and compared recordings that I took with my camera with those someone else took who had a Sony. My shots were clearer and with more vibrant colors. I could hit the pause button and get a perfect snapshot on the TV. The only thing the Sony could do that mine could not is see deep into the woods across the street with "Super Night Shot."

I understand why the pros want 3 CCD cameras, but RGB color filtering is pretty decent in normal lighting. I checked out the GL1 and the TRV900, but could not convince myself that they were worth the money for what I would be doing with the camera. If money is no issue, however, you will not go wrong with either GL1 or a
            TRV900.

Comment

Working...
            X