Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropped frames with marvel

Hi there,
    I've got problems when I try to capture from video cam: my Marvel drops frames, sometimes in the first 1000 captured frames I've got 5-10 lost. Usually 40-60 every 10000 at max res, 20-30 at next lower res. Disabled sound, scsi and network, no better. Tried to capture a fixed blue screen (only turn on the cam): losing frames as well. Installation should be ok: enabled usb->os->via4in1->drivers->dx
    no shared irqs, no card in pci slot#1
    optimization of cache, v-mem etc as per matrox faq/forum but I've got cpu 80% free and no drop with rgb 24bit at nearly double disk data rate, at least for the first 4-5000 frames
    I posted on matrox' forum too...

alberto

my system's specs:
    mobo abit ka7, via kx133, bios ty
    cpu athlon 600
    ram 128Mb
    audio sblive
    net ne2000 comp
    scsi symbios 53c825
    vga marvel g400, bios 1.5-22, PD 5.41
    HD quantum fireball LM 10Gb, pri-mast; ibm djna 13Gb sec-mast; both 7200rpm-2Mb cache
    udma66
    power 300w

os win98 se
    patch via 4in1 4.24a
    vt 1.52
    I'm using matrox vcr remote at 1024x868x16

other info? pls ask.

Same problem here .. MJPEG is not usable in some systems .. Try capture in uncompressed formats .. YUY2 + Huffyuv ..

Comment

Hi, Pytkin.
      I tried some rgb capture and it seemed almost working...
      I also tried YUY2 + compression (is Huffyuv compression or what? I'm still ignorant )
      but I got 50% frames lost.
      what are your system's specs? are you able to capture without lost frames? how?
      thx in advance

alberto

Comment

Hi,
        Daniel from Matrox suggested to try with an ATA33 HD. It helped a lot. I'm still at 1 dropped every 1000/1500 though.
        Any clues?
        I read some very technical postings in this forum: you genius out there, please don't be shy and help me!

alberto

Comment

What resolution do U capture ? If U need Full PAL , U need IDE RAID .. U can capture 1/4 PAL (352x288) in YUY2 + Huffyuv without problems ..

Comment

Can you use the MicroSoft IDE drivers built into win9x instead of the Via IDE drivers from the 4in1?

I know it sounds strange, but when I was using my G200 Marvel on an ASUS P5A with 5400 rpm IBM drives MJPEG capture was fine.

I added a DVD and the player software wouldn't run smoothly. Installing the Ali IDE drivers let the DVD playback correctly and improved Matrox Bench disk speed by almost 10%. I thought great! until I tried to capture or playback MJPEG. Couldn't get smooth playback or captures without dropped frames. Uninstalling the Ali drivers and using the win98 builtin again fixed the problem. I blew off the DVD player software :-(

Something is being a bad PCI citizen and not allowing timely access to the MJPEG hardware.

--wally.

Comment

hi, thanks for replies.
              Pytkin,
              I'm using full res/quality HWmjpeg.
              Since I'm new to this world, could you spend some words on Huffyuv???
              Wkulecz,
              I will try, I've heard of this issue with VIA drivers but I wanted to test newer 4in1.
              It doesn't sound strange: as you can read above, switching back to ATA33 helped a lot.
              THIS is strange.
              I think your dvd problems are CPU dependent:
              I also own a K6III system and I can play DVD only with an ATI card. Maybe some IDE drivers use less CPU than others...

alberto

[This message has been edited by albrt (edited 23 November 2000).]

Comment

wkulecz,
                I tried and I found almost no difference in speed between the two drivers. I used 3 runs of Matrox HD speed test, plus 3 runs of Sandra2000. Cache was disabled in Windows and
                setting was ATA33 for this drive.
                With Matrox average scores are 11.1 (VIA) and 11 (MS).
                With Sandra 12474 (VIA) and 12471 (MS).
                Also captures gave nearly same results.

alberto

Comment

albrt : Huffyuv = Ben Rudiak-Gould's lossless YUV codec
                  http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html

Comment

Pytkin,

Thanx for the link. Very informative.

paulw

Comment

Pytkin,
                      thank you, I'll check this page.

alberto

Comment

In my experience dropped frames are caused by the sync of audio and video. Video frames has to be dropped in order to stay in sync with the audio (at least that's my theory).

If I capture video using avi_io and disable the capture of audio, I can capture forever in every possible resolution without dropping a single frame. But if audio are captured, framedrops are inavoidable.

--------------
                        Marvel G400
                        Celeron 366
                        192 MB ram
                        20 GB IBM Deskstar (boot)
                        45 GB IBM Deskstar (ATA-66)
                        SB live!
                        SOYO 6BA +IV

Comment

Working...
                        X