G450-eTV in a TiVo box, speed problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450-eTV in a TiVo box, speed problem

After advice from Vicken at the Matrox forum to ask at MURC forum, here goes, the original thread is at : http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopic.php?p=28306

------

I still had my old Matrox G450-eTV card lying around so decided to buildt a dedicated TiVo box out of it.

The problem is that I planned to use the TV as a monitor as well. To do this, I configured the system to use 'DualHead Multi-Display' and configured the TV as main monitor. This works, I can see and control the TiVo box via the TV screen.

However, when playing movies, such as MPEG-1 files or AVI files, the speed is horrible. CPU usage barely gets above 10%, so it's purely the graphics card.

So I was forced to switch the setup back to 'DualHead DVDMax', but now I can't control the TiVo via the TV anymore, because the TV has become 2ndairy monitor for DVDMax to work and shows black screen when no movie is playing.

I compensate for that by controlling the TiVo with another computer via a WiFi connection to the TiVo box.

This works, but I still would prefer my original idea to work.

So am I asking too much? Or is there a way to make it work, like is there some sort of utility I can start that will switch between the two modes quick, because I could start such a util via the ATI Remote Wonder control then? Or am I missing something to speed up the playback in 'DualHead Multi-Display' mode?

Tech specs:

Windows XP Home (with SP1 and all other updates)
    ASRock Mainboard GE Pro-HT with DIMM/SDRAM slots
    Intel P4 Celeron 2.0Ghz
    128MB PC133 Kingston (tried it with 512MB as well, makes no difference)
    Western Digital 80GB, 7200rpm, Matrox HD Benchmark shows 43.00 MB/s
    802.11b WiFi card

and of course the Matrox G450-eTV with the following specs:

- 32MB DDR
    - RAMDAC speed = 360Mhz
    - Matrox Driver Package 5.82.018
    - Display Driver: 5.12.01.1820 (1.82.017)
    - Kernel Driver: 5.12.01.1820 (1.82.017)
    - DirectDraw/Direct3D driver: 5.12.01.1820 (1.82.017)
    - OpenGL ICD: 2.52.049 (2.52.049)
    - Matrox PowerDesk: 6.82.016
    - Graphics BIOS: 2.0 b36
    - Microsoft DirectX: 9.0 (doesn't show I installed lattest 9.0b version)

DXDiag also gives me this added info:

Main Driver: G400DHD.dll
    Version: 5.12.0001.1820
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    Mini VDD: g400dhm.sys
    VDD: n/a
    DDI Version: 7

Resolution is set at 800x600 for both monitor and TV (which is no longer connected), tried both 16 bits and 32bits.

Problem solved.

I guess being stuborn pays off

The solution was a combination of the Clone and DVDMax option, it now shows Windows on the TV screen, so I can control everything direct, but as soon as movie stuff is playing it switches automatically to DVDMax for maximum preformance.

I was able to get it working by programming a keyboard shortcut with the ATI Remote Wonder that I linked to the Clone activation.

Now if only I could find an easy way to alter the G450-eTV onboard PAL Tuner into a NTSC one, I can avoid buying an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro.

Comment

Working...
    X