Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVI vs VGA port

Hi,

I just got my parhelia, and while hooking it up to my NEC MultiSync FP955, I noticed that it has both a DVI port and a VGA port. Is there a difference in quality if I use the DVI port?

Thanks,

-V-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Im certain that theres a LOT of experts in that field around here...

But they might not be out before darkness creeps over the lands...

I have never seen a CRT with a DVI port tho'. Strange

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I think Greebe had a DVI-D CRT when he was BB'ing the P.

If it's a DVI-D interface, then I guess it's your choice as to whether the quality is better with one or the other - all you're doing is choosing between the DAC on the graphics card and the DAC in the monitor.

If it's a DVI-A interface, then it's still analogue from the card to the screen, so you're just choosing between the quality of the cables AFAIK.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

its DVI-A

Comment

Might still be worth experimenting with, in reference to the infamous banding issues.
          P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
            its DVI-A
            Since it's analog, it will still band.

Comment

yeah, but its Digital till it gets to the monitor. From there, it uses the DAC in the monitor, right?
              ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

No. The A in DVI-A stands for "Analogue" and it's basically the same as the old fashioned signal you get with the normal VGA port, just using different plugs and sockets at the end AFAIK. So the DAC is still part of the graphics card, and the CRT just displays the signal as-is. no conversion needed.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                  No. The A in DVI-A stands for "Analogue" and it's basically the same as the old fashioned signal you get with the normal VGA port, just using different plugs and sockets at the end AFAIK. So the DAC is still part of the graphics card, and the CRT just displays the signal as-is. no conversion needed.
                  sounds right
                  P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

still, I'd try it if it's free or cheap!

Comment

I think the DVI-A may be a better connector than your normal 15pin, but I would think the difference may be hard to notice, but it may be worth a shot.

I am not sure its worth buying an expensive new cable for it tho....

Comment

Working...
                      X