different NLEs on the same computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different NLEs on the same computer

I've avoided running/testing different NLEs on the same computer due to the problems of them stepping on each other's toes (i.e. dll files and codecs). I've had Premiere6 and MSP6 co-exist fairly well, but was told to avoid adding Vegas else things could seriously break.

But how about this for a solution: setting up different user accounts in WinXP, each with one NLE installed. Would this solve the problem, or would there still be a huge catfight in the /system32 directory? (I know Win2K has different user accounts and hardware profiles, but the user switching is not as robust.)

I think a much better idea, if you cannot have swappable hard disks, would be to multiboot the OS, each on a different partition. That way, the registry for each one would be independent (this is the critical item, I believe).
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It wouldn't change a thing. You have to be administrator to install any of these products and much stuff ends up in the system32 folder anyway. Swapping user names will only limit access to the applications, not the conflicts in the system director.
      Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I was afraid of that. So is it possible to have a bootup menu of multiple OSes--of the <i>same</i> OS? In other words, I've had a Win2K/XP multiboot no problem, but can you do, say, Win2K/XP/XP?

Comment

I have PCs set up where I work with 3 partitions of Win2K and 1 of WinXP. All work well.. At home I have a Win2k partition just for video work with a backup Ghost image stored on a backup drive..
          paulw

Comment

You'll run into a different problem: The Windows XP activation scam. One phone call with Microsoft for every bootable partition (unless you own a corporate edition of XP).

Unless you GHOST your primary XP partition after activation and restore it multiple times into multiple partitions. In that case you'll have to edit the file boot.ini though or else there's no multi-boot possible.

A more elegant alternative would be to buy drive caddies and use multiple hard disks. Make one original boot disk with al drivers, activate it with Microsoft and GHOST it. Restore it onto multiple disks and install your different NLE systems.
            Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
            X