No announcement yet.

Life expectancy - a burning question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAmn, I proofread worse than I type to have missed that one!

My entire point being that if the data is valuable and irreplacable its foolish to have only a single copy of it.

I wouldn't bet against one of the variety of holographic 3D storage schemes that are being researched "panning out" and quickly making rotating optical media a museam piece.
    30 years is an long time at the rate technology is changing these days. I'm not one to hope it slows down any!

--wally.

Comment

My entire point being that if the data is valuable and irreplacable its foolish to have only a single copy of it.

I wouldn't bet against one of the variety of holographic 3D storage schemes that are being researched "panning out" and quickly making rotating optical media a museam piece.
      30 years is a long time at the rate technology is changing these days. I'm not one to hope it slows down any!

--wally.

Comment

30 years is a long time at the rate technology is changing these days. I'm not one to hope it slows down any!

--wally.

Comment

A Little more info Courtesy of Adaptec.....Vic

Do Compact Discs Degrade?

by Bob Starrett

The answer to this question is easy and apparent: of course compact
          discs degrade. As with every other material, eventually time,
          temperature variations and the elements will take their toll, on the
          disc as a whole, as well as each element that comprises that disc. The
          real question is, how does disc degradation affect readability?

According to the Optical Storage Technology Association (OSTA), CD-R
          discs have a long lifespan:

"Lifetime estimation of any storage medium is a very complex and
          statistics-based process. Improper testing or measurement procedures can
          seriously impact and compromise lifetime estimates. ANSI Committee IT-9
          is currently developing comprehensive guidelines for CD-ROM and CD-R
          life estimation. The CD-R media manufacturers have performed extensive
          media longevity studies using these industry-defined tests and
          mathematical modeling techniques, with results claiming longevity from
          70 years to over 200 years. The primary caveat is how you handle and
          store the media. With proper handling and storage, your CD-Rs will
          outlive you."

It is one thing to say that discs will last that long. But while we grow
          old waiting to find out, we need to take some precautions and not rely
          stiffly on numbers such as these.

How long can you store a disc before you need to possibly reburn it to
          preserve your data? And is a CD really the best place to store important
          data for a long period of time? A comprehensive study of this topic is
          best left to someone or some company that has the deep pockets to
          perform it. The resources necessary to burn, test, age and retest media
          of different dyes, reflective layers and coatings are enormous.

In the meantime, the best we can do is use existing surveys and
          anecdotal evidence as a guide. While somewhat old, two studies are also
          available that provide a little insight into how the media manufacturers
          look at the longevity issue.The studies are rather technical, but if you
          want to look at them you can find them here:
          TDK - http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technolo...Media/TDK.html
          Kodak - http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technolo...dia/Kodak.html

US News and World Report also has an interesting article with a useful
          chart comparing the lifetimes of several types of storage media. It
          draws the startling conclusion that unless you buy certain high-quality
          brands, your CD-R discs may last as little as two years! But note that
          the National Media Lab took issue with the manner in which its data was
          used to produce the chart and does not agree with the conclusions drawn.
          http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/980216/16digi.htm

It sure would be nice to conduct our own study, but let's do the best we
          can with what we have on hand. Let's look at some really old discs and
          see if they are readable. In my personal collection, I found three CD-R
          discs that were at least 10 years old. These discs have not gone through
          any aging process or artificial stimulus. They have had a nice home in a
          jewel case, have made several trips to California and back, been
          joggled, of course, but otherwise they should be in good shape. They are
          clean discs without scratches, the kind that go into a jewel case right
          after recording and stay there.

Of the three, one was unreadable in four different models of Plextor
          drives, while it worked fine in a Kenwood 72X TrueX CD-ROM drive. But
          the fact that the Plextors could not read it and the Kenwood could,
          caused me to make a copy of it off the Kenwood, because this ten-year
          old disc contains data that I may need in the future. I feel safer now
          with the original and a backup that the Plextor drives are happy to deal
          with.

When will I check it again? Probably in a couple of years. Does this
          mean that you have to check all of you discs every so often to make sure
          they are still readable? Well, not everything, but do check your most
          valuable discs at least every year or two. Hopefully, you don't have so
          many that this becomes an undue burden. Just try to save the checking
          and re-recording for truly valuable discs of irreplaceable material,
          rather than copies of popular audio CDs, for example.

The other two discs were both readable in a professional CD tester and
          the Plextor drives, as well as the Kenwood drive. One had an error rate
          in the CD tester comparable to a freshly recorded CD-R disc, and the
          other had error rates higher than I would like, but still well within
          the maximum error rate considered safe for CD-ROM discs.

These discs were not tested for errors when they were made, so we do not
          know how the current error rates compare to the original and therefore
          cannot really judge degradation. But we do know that out of three
          ten-year-old recorded discs, one was on the edge, another was middling,
          and a third was just fine after all that time. Obviously too small a
          sample to draw any conclusions from, but the best we can do with what we
          have. One additional thing to note is that CD-R media has improved in
          the interim, at least discs from quality vendors have. There are also a
          lot of no-name brands now that may be worse than our 10-year-old discs.

If your job is to manage a large collection of stored data on CD-R for a
          company, then you have a rather large task ahead of you setting up
          protocols and procedures for archival disc testing and re-recording. But
          for most of us, the time spent checking key discs will be minimal.

So the controversy over the actual life expectancy of CD-R discs
          continues and our quick anecdotal testing does not solve the mystery.
          Just be careful with crucial data, use good quality media, and store and
          treat it correctly. Chances are that you have at least 10 years before
          you need to start worrying.

...Formerly Vic but my password doesnt work ;-(

Comment

by Bob Starrett

outlive you."

with.

Comment

by Bob Starrett

outlive you."

with.

Comment

Sorry for the multi post It looks like others have been having problems too

..what is going on with this BB??

Comment

Working...
                X