Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere6 DV tip

This courtesy of Mike Jennings of Adobe;

If there is more than one AVI DV codec installed on a system, Prem6 will prefer the older ICM DV codec for decompression.

This was done so that old DV systems like DPS Spark and others wouldn't get busted by the new DirectShow/DX DV codec logic in the app, especially if thier DV frame format is at variance with the 'standard' AVI DV frame.

To override this behavior, and force AVI DV files ('dvsd') to always be decompressed using the MS DV codec, edit the Prem60.ini file, and add the following lines:

[override]
    PreferDSCodecs=1

Dr. Mordrid

Hey Doc,

How is 6.0 for the rest of us ? I never bothered putting money down for 5.1 -I did pay for 4.2- because it took them too long to get it somewhat stable.

Should I start saving for 6.0 ?

Farid

Comment

Premiere 6.0 is a big improvement over 5.1c and previous builds.

The project bin now has its own preview window and several other enhancements. The capture modules are also improved. The new audio mixer is very handy.

What I really like is the new organization of the effects tabs. Transitions, video and audio filters are now organized into catagories similar to what is done in the MSPro production library, minus the preview animations. What you actually see are the three catagories on separate tabs with a series of drop menus. Each drop menu consists of a catagory (3D etc.). Much better.

There is also improved DV support and lots of other stuff. Enough so that after a week and a half I'm still wading my way throgh the manual & helpfile.

I haven't had time yet to test it with analog edits though. All my use so far has been with DV and MPEG-2 I-Frame using the RT-2000.

Plugins I've used it with include AVISynth (frameserving to TMPGEnc), Boris RED and After Effects.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 23 January 2001).]

Comment

My system (and others according to the Matrox forum) crashes on closing Premiere 6.0 after any capturing session under Win2000 (have not tried it under Win98SE).

Just got feedback from Adobe: sorry, but the G400 + RRG combination is not approved, so no help is available ;(

------------------
        Harald
        Harald

Comment

This is Adobe's standard "we don't want to be bothered" reply for anyone using consumer cards. Figures.....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

could we safely state that Prem 6.0 is a stable editing package ? 5.1c [just like other releases] was quite unreliable, often crashing and freezing ..... so what's the bet on this release ?
            Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
            PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
            SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
            IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
            IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
            Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
            Marvel G200 TV
            Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
            HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
            Creative Infra48 CD ROM
            Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
            Realtek Chip NIC 10/100