Newbie editor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie editor question

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, or if i placed it in the wrong forum.

My Partner hobbies in video editing using a dual proccessor p3 800mhz system with the matrox digisuite on it.

I want to build him a new system using an athlon64 3000+ and Western Digital Raptor 10,000rpm SATA drives.

My question is, however, Do i have to use a Matrox Parhelia video card with the digisuite? or can i install a high end Radeon (9800pro xt) or GeForce FX (5900ultra) card in stead. I think i have the rest of the details of the system hashed out, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer here. Please help.

Any comments are welcome, good and bad. Thank you in advance

Welcome to MURC!

I have moved your thread to the Desktop video forum.
    'Digital imaging' concerns mostly still imaging (photography), 'Desktop Video' concerns video editing.

(These guys are probabely most experienced to say what videocard best to use with a Matrox Digitsuite.)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

No, you don't HAVE to use a Parhelia, but if you want to build a serious Video Editing rig, I suggest you use a Matrox card anyway, as Matrox' 2-D image quality is still unsurpassed. All those hot-shot gaming card benchmark scores don't have any relevance if you want to edit video.
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work:
      Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
      Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Try to find more help on Matrox Forums...

Comment

Word has it that the Parhelia has some issues with video editing (I think lines somewhere, but am not sure, since I don't use one). The P750 or G550 don't have this problem and are perfectly OK for video. The Parhelia is essentially designed for 3D gaming.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
          X