Hard Disk Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never said critical.

The resources used by running internet firewall software (and possibly the PPPoE drivers) could very well interfere with video capture and output back to tape.

The work around if this ends up being a problem, is to setup a second boot profile that doesn't include networking or start the PPPoE software (if you have to "login" to start your DSL connection you have PPPoE)and reboot to use this when capturing or outputting to tape.

For my money, the ~$100 LinkSys box is a set and forget solution even if you have only a single PC. If you are sharing your DSL or cable modem with other machines on a small network, its the only really viable solution unless you'd rather do sys admin work instead of edit.

--wally.

Comment

I also have the Linksys box, but mine is the BEFSR41, the 4 port model.

Talk about a totally GREAT product. It's the best piece of external hardware I've bought this year. Since I boot into an editing only profile with the NIC disabled no resources are used by it to speak of when I'm editing.

Side benefits: the hardware firewall and built-in DHCP server. There hasn't been a single firewall test site that's been able to even see my system from the outside. And internet sharing has never been so easy.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X