No announcement yet.

Best way to transfer divx to vhs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had no intrest in the G400 dual head since I found out that 1280x1024 (2560x1024)was the best it could do on W2K.

If I can't get the DVDmax feature working how I wan with MSP6 I'll move it to my main machine which already has two video cards and use it as 3200x1600 and free up a slot.

--wally.

Comment

Interesting.

Using Win2K (I have a multiboot system) the RT-2000's G400 Flex3D (not too different from the Marvel & generic Millenniums) can do 1920x1200. The Marvel G400 system can do likewise.

This is on a KDS-195T monitor that normally can only do 1600x1200, but it has the guts of a Sony GDM-W900 which can do 1920x1200. To access the enhanced capabilities I used the Matrox GDM-W900 optimization in PowerDesk.

Hmmmmm....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc,

Its possible that the G400 dual head supports higher resolutions with the newer drivers. I lost intrest in it back in Mar-Apr when I found out:

1) both displays have to run at the same resolution (I was mixing a 17" (1152x864)and 21" (1600x1200) monitor at the time, I'm ready to move to a pair of 21" at 1600x1200 now so this will no longer be a problem.

2) 1280x1024 on each display was the highest according to an answer I recived from Haig to a specific question about the capbilities of the G400 dual head on w2k with the then current drivers. There are other "irratations" in the dual head being treated as a single display instead of two seperate displays, but then there are irratations in the way certain things behave with two seperate displays -- some things that bother me will stop and new ones will appear -- been that way with Microsoft stuff from DOS 3.1 and up.

Since I'm out of slots, adding a G450 and another 21" monitor gets me a free PCI slot again. I'm still trying to see if adding a G450 is worth it to me for the DVDmax TVout feature in my dedicated editing system. Doesn't quite do everything I want but the TVout quality can't be beat when it works.
        Right now I'm using it my Athelon testing system so there may be system specific issuses, I'm satisified with the drivers enough that if the uninstall and resotration of my G200 Marvel (in anticipation of May's new drivers :-) goes smoothly I'll try it in my NLE system this weekend. Matrox's installler-uninstaller has had plenty of bugs in the past, so I'm very consertive with tryig Matrox drivers now.

--wally.

Comment

Wally, in reference to the earlier stuff, is there a trailer (ie: free/legal)
          that you'd like to see to test the DVDMax TV-out of Divx on your system? I've got a few DTS / Sony Theatre intro trailers that look kinda nice.

Comment

No I'm satisified but what you linked me to, it played the 640x480 one you gave me just fine. I'm not too intrested in DivX right now because its PC only and not playable on stand alone players. Since I don't have unlimited time, I'm more interested in VCD and SVCD which are standards and play on some significant subset of the stand alone DVD players out there.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new Pioneer 103 DVD-R burner which should be available "soon" for about $1000. How well stand alone players handle what it writes will determine if I jump in and buy one immediately or not.

--wally.

Comment

AFAIK the business of having both displays at the same resolution is a limit of Windows2000 itself, not of the G400's DualHead function. Thank MicroCrap for that one.

As far as a limitation in the size of the primary display goes that may depend on if you're using a Plug & Play driver or a dedicated one from the monitor manufacturer.

All I know was I read that thing about the size limit while I was in 1800x1440 mode doing some tests

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It'd be interesting to see a comparison between say, a SVCD and a Divx file running at around the same bitrate.
                When playing a SVCD on a tv etc, can you tell the difference between that and a tape you'd just rented at Blockbuster/videostore?

Comment

Working...
                X