WinTV ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinTV ?

For recording video (YUV with HuffUYV) under W2K OS, people keep advising me the Hauppauge WinTV series.

Are they any good? I read on the webpage they support only square pixel resolutions, so can I grab 720x480 CCIR with these cards?

thx,
    Neko

just sold my hauppauge, so i cant really say because i only recorded video once, and with my athlon 750 i could just barely capture at half resolution. If you dont have a really fast cpu you should look for something with hardware capturing (im thinking about radeon all in wonder)

Comment

Big mistake!
      You should've oc'ed your Athlon - or is it an old (i.e. not thunderbird) one?

I can capture full PAL resolution with my Hauppauge in both Win2k and Win98 with my Duron800@1026. The Hauppauge is one of the very few cards with capture-driver for Win2k that are actually working.
      Yes, the Hauppauges can do Full PAL/NTSC resolution captures, with the only restriction that you can't have an overlay preview while capturing in high res.

Topha, even at 800MHz I didn't drop too many frames so maybe you've configured something wrong? Were you using some kind of compression?
      If not, then most probably your HD is not up to the data-rate. If yes, which codec did you use?
      My machine unfortunately is not fast enough for doing full-res DivX;-) captures, but it can capture full-res uncompressed as well as compressed ones with HuffYUV or the PicVideo MJPEG-codec.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Indiana:
        I can capture full PAL resolution with my Hauppauge in both Win2k and Win98 with my Duron800@1026.

Full PAL = ? 720x576 or 758x576? Is the latter still CCIR?

J-kun

Comment

My Hauppauge card has the BT878 chip on it.
          It can capture the PAL 768x576 resolution when you turn off the overlay-preview - and this really is a full res capture and not just a doubled/blown-up low-res one!

About CCIR: I don't know.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

CCIR : It's used often to describe the pixels used for TV. A TV screen uses rectangular pixels (CCIR, 720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL)

A computer screen uses square pixels. Most TV cards can handle only square pixel resolutions. That's fine if you play the files only on PC, but when you export to say, MPEG2 for DVD, and play this back on a TV set, the picture looks distorted.

You'd have to do a transformation to CCIR pixels before, but this is not totally lossfree, so you're better off capturing directly to CCIR pixels

Comment

I've tested full res. PAL captures (758x576) on my Pinnacle PCTV Pro, with a bt878 chipset. This probably is the same one as on the Hauppage card. While I can capture at 758x576 by disabling overlay when capturing in Virtualdub, the resulting capture isn't _really_ 758x576 I think... judging from the quality of the capture, I strongly suspect it's capturing at half PAL res, and doubling each pixel to get full PAL res. I'll experiment some more with it today.

btw. What is CCIR?

Comment

Working...
              X