4yrs troublefree desktop video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4yrs troublefree desktop video

Just thought I'd take note of the fourth anniversary of my having gone from a Matrox Rainbow Runner based platform to an IEEE-1394 port, DV based platform. My "go configure" activity has been practically eliminated as a result, and the fallout from that has been that I've rarely had to come here looking for ways to make it work, ever since. Mostly, I just lurk now.

I did want to say, though, that taking the conversion hardware out of the computer made all the difference in the world.

Software: WinME, MSP6.51a, MovieFactory3 Disk Creator, Cool 3D

Hardware: PIII-1gig, 256m ram, HP DVD200i writer, 40gig system disk, 40gig D drive. Promise XT100 TX2 with 200gig, 80gig slave, 200gig, 40gig slave. Siig fireware card, D-Link network card, Voodo TV graphics card (with everything disabled), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, Samsung 173v 17" lcd monitor.

Outboard equipment: Sony DVMC-DA2, DCR-TRV900 Sony 3 chip DV camcorder, PV/GS70D Panasonic 3 chip DV camcorder, CCD-TRV65 Sony 1 chip Hi8 camcorder, SIMA SCC color corrector, JVC super VHS deck, JVC VHS deck, Sharp 15" TV. And for audio, I have an Edirol UA-1D USB/Optical converter for tracks done on the Boss BR-8 8 channel workstation.

For audio out, I listen exclusively with a set of Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

I won't enumerate the rack of audio gear, mixer, studio mics, and 5 radio Ham station that's also part of this basement playroom, but it's all integrated across two desks and four small tables.

I'm currently running a dual boot system ("AddAWins"), both WinME, one for the internet, and the other for everything else. The network card is disabled on the non-internet system.

I wonder, sometimes, how long it will be before I have to "go configure" again. I haven't upgraded to MSP 7 in fear of having to do so. I've also not upgraded to XP for the same reason. After four years I'm beginning to feel like the old guy down the street who proudly takes his '89 cadillac out of the garage every morning for his trip to the coffee shop. Will I someday have to fix something, only to discover that they don't make parts for that anymore?

Jeff B

Don't fear MSPro7 since it's got more DV-specific tools than you can possibly imagine. Its MPEG encoder is better (and getting better) and the timeline tools make doing a lot of things much easier. It also exports Dolby Digital audio in DVD compliant MPEG-2 files, which is WAY better for burning DVD's since that's the primary standard in NTSC-land.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Assuming you're running a BX board like I do, you'd already be flat out finding a suitable new video card replacement, especially if you're only after a low-end jobbie. 2x/3.3v compatible AGP cards are being phased out in favour of PCI-Xpress while 4x AGP is becoming the minimum spec for "legacy" systems and slow adaptors.

Also, the double-sided PC133 SDRAM you'd need to use if you wanted to add more RAM or replace a module that went belly-up is becoming difficult to find these days and costs more than the newer DDR sticks.

There are plenty of second-hand parts to keep us going though. The popularity of P3 systems ensures long term support for the platform.
      Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

I thought my rig had already become hopelessly old-fashioned, but no...
        -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
        2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
        Matrox Parhelia 128
        Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
        Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
        Maxtor 300 GB for video
        Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
        Win XP Pro

At work:
        Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
        Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Dr Mordrid,

What do you mean the MPEG encoder is getting better? Is there a new patch coming out soon for MSP7, e.g. 2 pass encoder as in DVDWS 2? I notice that there has no been no patches/updates since 7.01 while DVDWS, VS and DVDMF have had new versions since then with better encoders.

Is it a sign of a mature product or no support?

Comment

You remember the line Sgt. Schultz used to say on Hogans Heroes?

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I do remember this one: Hmmmm, strudel!!! Or were you referring to that other line, Doc?

At Home:

2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
              Matrox Parhelia 128
              Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
              Maxtor 300 GB for video
              Win XP Pro

At work:

Comment

...he knows NUTHING!

Comment

He said he knew nuthing....but in most cases the reverse was true

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I may know something, or I may know nothing, but I'm not even saying anything

However, it may be time to start practising to hold your breath
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, would a piece of strudel help to get anything out of you, just like it did with Sergeant Schultz?

At Home:

2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                      Matrox Parhelia 128
                      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                      Maxtor 300 GB for video
                      Win XP Pro

At work:

Comment

Not very likely

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hoooe-Gaaaan! LOL!
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Dr Mordrid

You've lost me there, I'm too young to have watched that program (also I am in UK).

I think I've got the gist though. Would "watch this space..." or NDA be appropriate answers?

Comment

Something like that.....

BTW: Hogans Heroes was an American TV show; a comedy about POW's in a German camp. Hogan was the US commander who was also chief conspirator, Col. Klink was the inept German commandant and Sgt. Schultz was a porcine German Sgt. who saw all the American shenanigans but tried to totally ignore everything. His usual line was "I know nothink....NOTHINK!!"

Dispite the gruesome locale it was hilarious.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X