Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pioneer to sell DVD-R drives as upgrades....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer to sell DVD-R drives as upgrades....

They say about May, 2001.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...html?tag=mn_hd

Dr. Mordrid

Doc

And when are we going to see in-built mini-DV drives at an affordable price?

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

What are "mini-DVD" drives? and why would we want them"

Oops! You said mini-DV drive. Sony recently introduced a D8 VTR, model GV-200 I think, about $550 on the web, but a "close-out" TRV120 D8 camcorder can be had for about $470 and works great as a "media convertor" and digital VTR when hooked up to good tuner. Could also come in handy as a second camera.

There is TRV900 webpage that evaluated the TRV120 D8 camcorder as a "deck" to archive DV and found the transfer to be "lossless". Sorry but I don't have the link handy right now. But given the low cost of Hi8 tape this is the cheapest way to store an hour of DV.

None of this stuff was specifically designed for use as a computer periperal. Don't expect it to be either as 13GB on a tape is too small for general backup uses these days.

--wally.

[This message has been edited by wkulecz (edited 27 February 2001).]

Comment

Brian Ellis: During a recent mini-DV training seminar that was brought up. Don't hold your breath. Do to the cost of the drives and tapes vs the cost of optical storage we were told that the project was stopped. The mini-DV standard does include use as a computer storage device, but it was deemed not cost effective to continue in this direction. There is the possibility of a specailty company doing it but I wouldn't count on it.
        Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
        Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Working...
        X