No announcement yet.

Is This Forum Dieing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I joined up after buying a G200 Marvel and searching the web for a forum in which I could learn more about the card. Doc Mordrid and some Russian guy were in the middle of a huge flame war to do with the Marvel's YUV capability, if memory serves correctly. That the debate was unearthing lots of info about the Marvel helped me overcome any trepidation about joining. I am pleased to say I have never seen exchanges get that heated since then. Hey, maybe we need a good flame war to liven things up here! Just kidding
    Last edited by Frank Marshall; 4 September 2004, 01:39.
    Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Back in the days of the late 20th century...

Originally posted by Frank Marshall

Hey, maybe we need a good flame war to liven things up here!
      Take a hike, Frank!

All kidding aside, that "Russian guy" was none other than Grigory, and I for one appreciated what he had to say. Unfortunately, he seemed to be a target for numerous people here at the forum. I never completely understood the motivation behind the attacks, but he remained a class act throughout and for that I highly respected him.

Jeff, on the other hand, was a complete turkey. Just kidding Jeff, and you know it! I still remember that short video clip of you shaking your head and your hair growing. Memories of long ago!

Comment

Every once in a while, Patrick, you remind me of that little bluescreen clip I did, all those years ago...

...and every time you do, I wonder what I did with it. I end up looking around the room, and then I realize it's probably on one of those 10gig or 6gig drives I've got over there on the shelf, gathering dust.

And, yes, there used to be flame wars from time to time, way back there in the days before we all became so calm... before we had managed to get our computers to make the kind of video we always wanted... before we had kissed goodbye the hours and hours of "go configure" that got us all here in the first place.

I used to look forward to those hot topics, when Grigory or Jerry would elicit some pea-brain's enflamed responses. It was more fun than watching Jerry Springer.

Jeff B

Comment

Originally posted by smitty
          We were pioneers in the old days! It took a lot of effort but we were rewarded as we were few and on the leading edge of editing.We leaned on each other for support and encouragement.
          We haven't expanded and so the forum questions have slowed.It is much easier to capture and edit today.We could expand the kinds of questions we have to serve as a catalyst to expand our own editing.
          I for one would certainly have some questions and maybe a couple of answers. That may be one way to hang together and get better at this art of editing.
          smitty
          Great post. I know that I spent tons of time over here years ago when the big issues were trying to capture full screen and getting an Ultra33 RAID card to be able to handle the bandwidth. I loved my Matrox G400 TV and still think that it is one of the best video cards ever made. It did so much so well until the Win2K platform came out and Matrox just let it die. If I could have gotten it to work in WinXP I may still have it in a box today, but I sold it an moved on to ATI. Things have changed so much since then and I have learned so much that I apply at work everyday. It was just a hobby at home, but the goal was to be prepared for what is going on today. I know that I am better off going through the pains of learning and building a much stronger foundation of theory than someone just learning an app or two today.

I do laugh sometimes at some of the stupid questions I asked back in the day. I don't pretend to know everything but I can understand a lot more thanks to the people at this forum. It pains me to see it falling to the wayside, but the truth is that Matrox shouldn't have dropped the consumer level capture card series, I really think that they were the frontrunner's at the time and now they are an afterthought unless you are doing pro level stuff. I know that I can't afford it. ATI delivers what I need now and more for much less. I swore them off until Matrox basically gave me no choice. I think that is where this forum started to dwindle.

I will say this though, if I have a serious issue that I can't resolve I come here to ask about it. This is the most courteous forum on the net and one of the most knowledgeable. I don't think that I have ever gotten bad or wrong advice from here. A lot of other places have fanboys that flame and people that just regurgitate misinformation or don't know what they are talking about.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Right you are, Sciascia. The beauty of this forum is that we are like family. We give and we take.

When I first started vdeo editing I nearly packed up after about a week or so, untill I came to this forum. God bless Doc.

Regards to all you murcers, administrators and moderators
            We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

This forum's not dieing, it's just gone a little off topic.

Comment

Yes, Doc probably wouldn't remember but he sent me an email about 6 years ago that just had so much info, was so detailed and answered about 50 completely stupid questions that I had. I was basically trying to capture video on an old Celeron 300a using a $40 capture card and using an ultra33 drive. Needless to say it wasn't going well. After explaining digital video principles he went on to tell me about the G400TV. I bought one that night and it helped me to learn so much.

Doc really helped me a lot and I always try to help people the same way, no matter how silly it seems at the time, I was once there and good people helped me to get through those early times. To not be helpful would be so wrong after I was given so much help.
                WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

That's right guys, keep this forum alive. A little off subject ? Perhaps, but its nice to remember the past. After all its all related to this particular forum.

Debbie
                  We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Don't worry. I'm gonna give you guys plenty to talk about soon enough!!

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ever noticed how he likes teasing you?
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                        Ever noticed how he likes teasing you?
                        He's been at it since I first came to the forum so , YES
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

It's really amazing how my experience with computer video editing mirrors the stories in these posts! Doc helped me out on so many occassions I can't even begin to recount them.

There is "something" about this forum that makes me have a peek just about every day.

- Mark
                          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
                          X