Slightly OT - WIN2000 NTFS Cluster Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly OT - WIN2000 NTFS Cluster Size

Does anyone know how I can or in fact if I need to change the cluster size in my NTFS3.0 partitioned Hardrives.

All my drives are 30Gb or Better and Partition Magic 6 reports that the cluster size is 512 bytes. I thought that with NTFS I could have 64K clusters which I imagine should give better AV performance.

When using Pmagic 6 the resize cluster option is greyed out when I right click on one of the drives.

Any insight from you NTFS experts out there would be apreciated as I'm a 98SE/Fat32 user who has just moved to W2K SP1.

Thanks

Pooh
    ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Not sure if that can be done or not. I just formatted my NTFS array using the defaults.

BTW: don't try converting a FAT32 volume >20 gigs to NTFS. It won't work. A fix is in SP2, but thats sill a few weeks off.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc

I'm a little confused as I have converted two 45Gb drives and 1 35Gb drive with NTFS without any apparent problems. Can you confirm >20 gigs ie greater than 20Gb and if this the case what problems are you referring to.

Pooh

[This message has been edited by Pooh (edited 28 March 2001).]
      ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

All I know is that its on the fixed bug list for Win2K SP2.

As noted I just formatted using NTFS and was done with it.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

whats a good cluster size for a two drive software RAID(striped) setup in win 2k.
          I have set it to 4k?

Comment

The optimal cluster size for a RAID0 used for video is 64k. This hits the right balance between random file access and streaming data.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X