X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple RT2000 questions

OK, this is the perfect forum to post this question :-{>

I am seriously considering a step up to the RT2000. I have a few questions:

-Besides the 4-in-1 drivers, are there any problems with the RT2000 and VIA chipsets (specifically, KT133A)?

-The literature says the system is real-time MPEG2 and DV. Does this mean that I can encode AND re-encode MPEG2/DV projects in real-time or do I have to let everything process for 10 hours to get a final MPEG file?

-Does the RT2000 handle s-video inputs? Can it also handle FireWire inputs as well?

-As far as outputing MPEG/DV video, is it done through a software or hardware player? Can it handle composite and s-video outputs?

-How is the Win2K setup with the new Mega Preview?

-To you, is it worth the money? Why?

Thanks again

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by AndrewDV:

-The literature says the system is real-time MPEG2 and DV. Does this mean that I can encode AND re-encode MPEG2/DV projects in real-time or do I have to let everything process for 10 hours to get a final MPEG file?
    </font>
    The RT2000 can use hw to re-encode to final MPEG2. Unfortunately, the demo files showed that VBR is non-existant (realtime captures, perhaps transcoded it works?)

J-kun

Comment

Source: a SeaDoo race interspaced with talking heads. 30 secs of racing, 30 secs of talking heads etc.

First I captured this to MPEG-2 I frame and saved it out as a VBR file @7mbps.

Next I captured the exact same sequence, to the frame, to DV and frameserved the footage to TMPGEnc. Encoding was done at 7mbps using both Manual VBR and CQ VBR.

TMPGEnc MVBR: 6326 to 7036 - average: 6614

TMPGEnc CQVBR: 6317 to 7074 - average: 6614

RT-2000 VBR: 5255 to 6449 - average: 5679

Looks like the RT-2000 VBR was the more "variable" of the bunch.

The other main difference was a higher Q in the RT-2000 VBR files graph.

Analysys by BitRateViewer.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 28 March 2001).]

Comment

Hello AndrewDV

I have a RT2K running on an ABIT KT7 Raid with no problems whatsoever. 1Ghz Athlon - 640Mb Ram, IBM Deskstar on primary IDE, Maxtor & IBM 45Gb on onboard raid Controller. Soundblaster Awe 64.

Re S-video in and out - no problems - via the BOB

W2K Setup with Beta 2 of Mega Preview and Premier 6 is the Business

HArd to say if it's worth the money yet as I've only had it for a week but if you can gauge value for money by the amount of smiles it puts on your face as you put a project together when you see all the stuff you normally wait ages on happening, happen instantly it's worth every penny.

Hope this helps

Regards

Pooh

[This message has been edited by Pooh (edited 28 March 2001).]
        ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
          Source: a SeaDoo race interspaced with talking heads. 30 secs of racing, 30 secs of talking heads etc.
          </font>
          SeaDoo? =horseraces? Sorry, term doesn't mean anything to this Eurolander.

Is this TV source analogue or digital?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">First I captured this to MPEG-2 I frame and saved it out as a VBR file @7mbps.

Next I captured the exact same sequence, to the frame, to DV and frameserved the footage to TMPGEnc. Encoding was done at 7mbps using both Manual VBR and CQ VBR.

TMPGEnc MVBR: 6326 to 7036 - average: 6614

TMPGEnc CQVBR: 6317 to 7074 - average: 6614

RT-2000 VBR: 5255 to 6449 - average: 5679
          </font>
          So, this is the value for export (not RT) encoding in RT2000, right? Interesting indeed

I don't know about TMPEG, it crashes too often on my system, so I rarely use it, but heard it's as good as CCE SP.

What is interesting is that the RT2000 doesn't seem to need to use the max bitrate of 7 Mb/sec...

Is there a manual download somewhere for the RT2000? I'd like to know more about all the little dials & switches I can play with

J-kun

Comment

SeaDoo = Jet Ski = "personal watercraft" = suicide machine

The RT-2000 can capture DV from either its digital and analog inputs. This is very handy for mixing analog and digital sources.

The source for these tests was analog (SVHS deck recorded material, S-Video connector to the RT-2000), captured to to disk both as DV and MPEG-2 I-frame. The resulting clips were trimmed to cover the exact same range of frames and make the comparison as close as possible.

Any manuals for download are only for registered RT-2000 users. This includes those for the new 3.0 MEGA Pack.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 29 March 2001).]

Comment

Working...
            X