RT-2000 or G450eTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT-2000 or G450eTV

okay, if you remember, i posted that we just ordered a rt-2000 a while back. now it just go more expensive here in germany and they asked us if we still want it. now my question is, how much better is it than the eTV? we are not really professionals, we just want to edit holiday videos and things like that, but we really liked the effects one can do with the rt-2000.
    does the rt-2000 play tv on a pc? can we use some of those effects on a eTV? i know it wont be possible in realtime, but is it possible at all?
    what would you recommend?

It's like comparing a Mustang to a Ford GT-40. Different beasts entirely.

The eTV is an entry level consumer editing card with a TV tuner and some features attracitive to home users (TiVo functionality etc.). The bundled software, VideoStudio 4.0SE, has just basic effects but is a very good entry level editor. Still, it's not the full version of VideoStudio which is now up to ver. 5.0 and already has had it's first update issued.

The RT-2000 is a mid level professional editing system. It is made to do one thing very well: edit high quality video and get it back on either digital tape, SVHS, DVD or to encode as high quality net video. It comes with the full version of Adobe Premiere 6.0 RT (RealTime). Premiere 6 is very powerful stuff and if purchased separately it would set you back about $550. In addition the RT-2000 comes with DVDiT (for making cDVD, miniDVD or DVD disks), Acid (audio styler), SpiceMaster lite (high end organic wipe editor) and Inscribers Title Express titler (VERY nice!!).

With all its power the RT-2000 can operate on a moderately low powered system: a PII 350 w/128 megs is the minimum requirement. This because the RT0-2000's advanced hardware does most all of the work.

The eTV, on the other hand, has to have nearly a 1 ghz CPU to do full frame video captures. This because it offloads most ot the work to the CPU.

By the time you spent the money to make the eTV do a small percentage of the RT-2000 style effectsit would operate at 1/10th the speed and cost the same or more than the RT-2000.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 01 April 2001).]

Comment

Subsidizing has nothing to do with it. The strong dollar and the nosedive of the Euro does.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

In the US the price keeps dropping and here in Europe, in just a few months the price has gone up twice. They also cripple their cards so you cannot import a US card.

Methinks Matrox wants to subsidize their US price drops with EUROs. Methinks it's not going to be my EUROs Matrox is getting in future.

Pinnacle's DV500 has dropped in price over the past months, perhaps you should look at the competition?

Neko

Comment

Working...
        X