Speccing new video-editing station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gt40
    How are the new tft's with colour depth?
    I have noticed on many lcd's 'contouring' on gradual colour gradients.
    Well, I just did some tests with my AOC TFTs.

I created a rectangle which fitted the full open window in Corel Draw! I did "fountain fills" with black, primary red, green and blue graduating to white and black, horizontally and vertically (14 separate tests). I very carefully examined the screens at ~25 cm and ~1 m. I then repeated it all with the same images zoomed out to 25% original size, surrounded by white. In no case did I observe any anomaly.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Good to know
      This is the one reason I've stayed away from LCD's
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

The Eizo monitor that VJ has is excellent, and it's not even their super duper version.

I was at Photokina with a graphic artist / movie effects guy, who is a Mac addict. We stopped in at the Eizo booth, where they had several computers with multiple monitors - an Eizo and a Mac Cinema Display. We could drag full ciolor images and test images (like Brian's color wash) between monitors. There was a very noticeable difference in gradients between the two - the Eizo was way better.

It's also more expensive (!) than the Apple Cinema Displays.

- Steve

Comment

Only downside: its refresh is too low for gaming, but if you don't care about that, I can indeed recommend it.
          (I chose the 17" model over the 19" model, as both run in 1280x1024)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

My 4 AOCs refresh at 75 fps. Is that too slow for games? I don't do any except for an occasional solitaire, so I have no experience. There is perhaps one effect that I have noticed, on odd occasions but it does not detract from video viewing. You know about phosphor burning on CRTs? This is where, if you have a bright image permanently on a CRT screen, the phosphors "wear out". If you then put a grey image over the whole of the screen, the "worn-out" parts appear darker than the rest. This is a permanent fault. With my TFT screens, I temporarily have a similar "remanence" effect, lasting a few minutes (can't remember whether it's positive or negative, though). This does not affect video, though, as the image is constantly changing.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Perhaps I misused the word refresh... I meant "response time": mine is at 25ms, which yields close to 40 fps (even though the refresh is at 60 Hz).

It works, and is playable, but hardcore gamers would hate it...

BTW, I have 4 12" mono VGA displays that suffered enourmous phosphor burnin: they were used in point-of-sales, and showed the same screen all day (and there was a bright bar at the top, and one at the bottom).

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X