Question for the Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Doctor

I'm currently using a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 30 gig, 7200 rpm, ATA66 drive for caps. I want to add a second drive for RAID0 But I can only find Maxtor DMP 30 gig, 7200 rpm, ATA100 drives.

Would these two drives coexist on a RAID controller? If they do, am I correct in assuming that the speed would be limited to that of the slower drive?

Nine months is too long to wait to buy a second drive!

Kevin

Yes it is and yes, they'll work together under the limitations you presumed.

The trick question is: do you really have an ATA66 drive? Maxtor sold a bunch of ATA66's that are ATA100's in drag. They made running change to ATA100 on this model early last June, but didn't relable most of the boxes until fall

Check the model number printed on the drives. The second to last figure is the key. If it's a "U" then it's an ATA66. If it's a "H" then it's an ATA100.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 10 April 2001).]

Comment

The HDD I'm using now is model 53073U6, belonging to the DMP 40 line. The one I was looking at is model 5T030H2, DMP 60 series. Slightly faster and also slightly lower capacity than mine. Decided to wait (maybe I'll find a match on EBAY if nowhere else)and concentrate on a DVD ROM. Any favorites?

Kevin

Comment

The new Maxtor DMP 60's are very, very fast, but the champ of champs is the IBM 75 GXP.

I've got four 60g 75GXP's in my RT-2000 systems 240g array and they totally flippin scream.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 13 April 2001).]

Comment

How fast do they go?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Specs:

Four 60g IBM 75GXP 7,200 rpm drives in a single 240g RAID0 array

Fasttrak100: driver version 1.30 (Build 25), S.M.A.R.T. off, CACHE on

Sustained sequential writes (NTFS);

SANDRA: 76 mb/s
            RT-2000 HDBenchmark: 70.4 mb/s average
            DiskSpeed32: 74 mb/s peak, 68 mb/s min

FAT32 is a few percent faster.

Fast enough? No?

A new Promise card is coming out for use with both the PCI/33 and the new PCI/66 slots. It's called the Fasttrak100 TX4.

The TX4's have a controller for each drive instead of using Master/Slave IDE connects. Of course this also means each drive added will give it's full measure of performane increase and not be hampered by sharing a controller chip with a Master drive. Drive 3 and 4 will now provide more than just extra space.

It's peak throughput on PCI/66 is up to 200 mb/s.

http://www.promise.com/Products/FastTrak_Tx2/Ft_Tx2.htm

I'll let you guys know how it works as soon as the preview board arrives.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 14 April 2001).]

Comment

Working...
            X