Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing audio and video separately?

Hello,

Is it possible to capture the video with a standard capture card (WinTV, etc.) and the audio separately with a sound card at the same time? In other words, connect the video out of the camcorder to the capture card and the audio-out of the camcorder to the audio card. A tool like AVI_IO or VirtualDub would be used.

Anyone ever do that? Is there a benefit to this?

Thanks

Tried AVI_IO with only video capture with SoundForge4.5 capturing the audio, at the same time from a VCR. It works, but the sync is very hard to reset in a video editor. AND the process doesn't unload the CPU, no less dropped frames.
    I tried to capture only video and recorded the audio to a tape recorder at the same time. The same sync problem, but the CPU is engaged only with the video, resulting in less dropped frames. BUT the audio quality isn't the best one from tape.
    In the first method you can't capture from the TV source. In the second you can.

I'm using a Marvel G400-TV.

Fred H

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 21 April 2001).]
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi

Long story short, I've played with some procedures that are similar enough, that they might give you a starting point.

Assuming the reason for dual streams is to achieve some higher quality etc., first off, capture sound and video to avi, maybe using the lowest quality settings for video, audio, or both -- this way you have something to measure against when you put everything in sync.

Then it's possible to capture video without sound, or the opposite, matching your new tracks up in whatever editor you use, comparing waveforms and such, maybe doing a little time expanding or compressing to get the length of the audio right in an audio editor.

At that point you could put everything together, or just output one or the other streams.

Warning... It can be a REAL tedious pain in the butt! Audio & Video streams will usually in my experience vary in length if they're captured solo. Video captured without sound may not match, and depending on your editing software, you may have a bit of fun getting the audio stream the right length.

Luck
      mike

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Warning... It can be a REAL tedious pain in the butt! Audio & Video streams will usually in my experience vary in length if they're captured solo. Video captured without sound may not match, and depending on your editing software, you may have a bit of fun getting the audio stream the right length.
        </font>
        Yes, that's the problem.

Fred H
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
        X