buying a BIG Monitor (19" - 22")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a BIG Monitor (19" - 22")

Just my opinion but I'd stay away from NEC at this point. They sold their monitor division to Mitsubishi a while back and support may become an issue. Otherwise they are excellent monitors.

KDS gets good reviews from many but I've also seen lots of reports of them going south after a few years. Makes sense, their monitors are less expensive because they use cheaper components.

You didn't mention what your budget is but right now the best 21" monitor is Eizo's F980. For half that money you can get Mitsubishi's 2040u or 2060u which are both excellent. I'm using a 2040 and it's one of the few monitors I've ever had where even 2048x1536 looks good.

hello X-Caliber

I have a taxan Ergovision 2280.

yout can find the specs at

http://www.taxan.co.uk/ev2285.htm

Its' also got 4 usb ports built in.

I'm very happy with it.

Hope this helps

Pooh

[This message has been edited by Pooh (edited 29 April 2001).]
    ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

buying a BIG Monitor (19" - 22")

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to buy a large monitor for my PC, something in the 19" - 22" range. So far I have came up with either the NEC FP1375X or the KDS Avirton AV-21TF. Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these, or are there any others you would recommend? Also, do I really need a DVI interface - I thought those were only for flat panel screens(?)

Thanks,

X-Caliber
      ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

My price range is between $700 - $900

also, do I need a DVI interface??
        ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

FWIW, I run 2 old 21" screens here. On my main computer, I have a Nokia Multigraph 445G which I bought about 8 years ago. Beautiful image. Had it repaired once (faulty trimmer pot caused the colours to go intermittently haywire). It has been used on an average 10 h/day, 7 d/w since then. Would not hesitate to recommend the make.

The other one is a Hitachi which was made by a T. Rex, but cost me a fortune 13 or so years ago. Very reliable, never been repaired, been used equally continuously. I use it now for graphics work, incl. video editing. The image is not as good as the Nokia, though, but I actually use it far less.

In both cases, they have RGBHV BNC connectors which, with a suitable cable, plug into the standard 15 pin D connector on your graphics card.

Philips also make some good ones.

For the anecdote, I think the Hitachi has outlived half-a-dozen computers, starting with a 386/16 with 1 Mb RAM and 20 Mb HDD. Those were the days, my boy!

------------------
          Brian (the terrible)
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
          X