Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Micro$oft, at it again: you have to buy WinXP to get MPlayer8!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro$oft, at it again: you have to buy WinXP to get MPlayer8!

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...html?tag=tp_pr

Sheesh.....

Dr. Mordrid

I can't find the link right now, but apparently, MP3 creation and playback will be blocked out along with 3rd party cd burning apps. Also, the home version will not have multi card support but the pro and the server version will.

Ciao

Comment

Which means Win2K Pro will be on this system a while.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It would seem that there will not be a lot of people "experiencing" the great "XP"

------------------
        Lawrence
        Lawrence

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly the great unwashed who buy Compaq's at the local department store will be using it.

As for those who know how to install an OS....IMHO there will be a lot of multiboot systems running out there. Of course that presumes that M$ doesn't disable that ability too.

*@!%#%$@#%!$&@!!

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 25 April 2001).]

Comment

Indeed

------------------
            Lawrence
            Lawrence

Comment

I can't believe Microsoft is at it again, trying to take control of the world of computing and its creativity!!

You are right Doc, I'll have Win2K pro in my machine for a very long time as well.

Cheers,
              Elie

Comment

I tell yah if I ever get the time to figure out this Linux stuff regarding video on my Marvel G400 I am gonna drop kick every CD from Micro$oft right into the circular file!
                Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

LOL Riktar, I hear ya

Nothing like open source eh?

Comment

Whats this rumour I heard of DOS 19 drivers under test?

------------------
                    Lawrence
                    Lawrence

Comment

Thank goodness for WinAmp !

(Anyone figured out how to record the visualisers to AVI ?)

Comment

Well, I'm gonna buy some Real stock...
                        Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

I've been using XP since beta 2 and believe me, you aren't missing out on anything.

I never even use media player 8, I think it is bloated and more or less useless. Fortunately Windows XP also includes media player 6.4.

-John

Comment

Yeah, but there's a big problem with using 3rd party software in Win2K: no ASPI drivers! Win2K doesn't install any and finding them is not exactly made easy.

Nero takes care of it by having one in its install folder and using it, but as for other software support is spotty.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Elie: Open source is definately promising. Bill Gates had better watch out! Then again maybe that is what he's been looking at since he "retired" from his old job at MicroShaft.
                              Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X