new setup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new setup question

Okay, I've got a working plan, but would like some critique. Seeing as how I'm going to have to retire my Marvel eventually, I'm thinking of using an external VCR for a tuner, and capturing in DV format via a Canopus ADVC300 (I have a LARGE quantity of VHS and Hi8 tapes I'd like to archive). The question: Is the Canopus ADVC300 worth the expense, or should I try to find a used DVStorm for video input?

Backstory: A client traded an old DVLine editing workstation for some service work. I had to replace the MB (Asus a7m266-d). It was originally a DVStorm system, although she had dropped the Storm into another system. So, am I better off using an ADVC300, or getting a used DVStorm off eBay ('prox' the same price)? Does the ADVC300 offer any features which would make it preferable over a Storm?

Kevin

I'd opt for the Canopus ADVC300:

It has extra stabilization features for analog video.

That's nice.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the features I like. I was just curious as to whether the DVStorm had something similar. Guess it doesn't matter though.

Does the ADVC300 come with any capture software of its own or would one be better off using Virtualdub or AVIIO (does anyone even use AVIIO or Virtualdub anymore)?

Kevin

Comment

You would best use the capture feature of whichever software you use for editing and/or DVD authoring. E.g., I use MSP8 for transferring the DV stream from my ADVC to the 'puter. It makes no, zero, zilch difference which software you use on a WIN computer, as the DV stream is not "captured" but simply wrapped up in an AVI file. The contents of a box of Ferrero Rocher tastes the same whether it is presented to you as is or wrapped in an expensive gift wrapping paper with a fancy bow.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Affirmative. DVAVI @ 720x480, 29.97 fps. Was just wondering if any one capture utility was better than any others. Thanks.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X