Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Distribution Blues

(Start rant)

The more I hear about HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, one player for each format, burner, etc.. the more disgusted I become.

What we ideally need is one hardware format, be it HD-DVD or BD it really doesn't matter. As long at the disc capacity is high, and the media, players, and burners are relatively cheap.

After that we need authoring programs that will author discs with most ANY video format and resolution you put on them. Be it HD, SD, wmv, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4. We should be able to create menus and link objects to videos. Period, end of story.

This way all of the technical nonsense is "behind the curtain." You just create your menu and link to the video files. Burn disc and distrubute. I'd rather spend my time artistically, not technically solving the same problems over and over again.

I am going to protest this impending format war by not buying any HD content. We're already suffering because if they had agreed on one format a few years ago we'd already have cheap players, burners, and media!!! Now we wait.

The video big shots should learn a lesson from the audio industry. The "technically inferior" CD based on 16bit resolution and 44100 sampling is still around over 20 years after it's introduction. Super Audio CDs and High Def Audio DVDs failed.

And you know what? The format that might trump the CD may be highly compressed formats that actually have worse fidelity than the CD. The bottom line is that the mass public only requires enough quality to "connect" with the artistic presentation. And convenience is key of course (iPod).

I fear that if they fool around too much with HD the public may feel the DVD is "good enough" just as the CD is "good enough." Of course with HD TV's in lots of homes a change will eventually occur but it will probably later, a lot later, rather than sooner.

To this day when I look around Best Buy or Circuit City at the HD demos I still see HD content riddled with macroblocking, pixelization, blotches of bad shading, and in general digital artifacts all over the place. Sure the resolution is higher than DVD but there are so many artifacts who cares? A few years ago you could say it's because they didn't have the equipment connected properly. Today that's usually not the case. I see component or HDMI cables and still bad picture quality. I'm sorry but I expect to see smooth color reproduction on a person's face on a close-up, not a mottled appearance as the compression flicks back and forth to different vector values.

What's my point?

Simple. Don't support this nonsense until there appears to be a standardized format for both recording and playback, and superior HD quality. And we need to be sure copy protection doesn't make creating our own videos (of our own material) problematic.

(End of rant)

- Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Mark,

You wrote that very well.

Of course, I agree with you.

I too am DISGUSTED by how consumers are being baited and tricked.

The insane costs associated with the HD DVD fiasco can't be justified in my household and I tend to see them in the same light as LASER DISCS.

The average "Joe" couldn't afford the players let alone the high-priced laser disc movies.

I decided to pass.

Now I have a large collection of relatively inexpensive standard definition digital DVD movies and TV shows.

I have everything from John Wayne westerns to Richard Widmark film noir classics to offbeat tales such as "The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao."

I have Star Trek episodes and Kung Fu episodes and Inspector Morse episodes.

There's no way - no way - I'm going to dive into yet another format war and re-purchase these titles just to be able to watch them in high definition when I get all the satisfaction I require from clean digital standard definition, which I can watch using my stand alone DVD player, my portable DVD player, and my computer.

And you are right about those store displays.

I too notice the horrible artifacting on those high definition screens and I ask myself...

"Why am I even considering the possibility of dropping two to five grand on a large screen that seems to draw EXTRA attention to the flaws in current digital technology??"

I won't be investing in high definition DVDs or TVs anytime soon.

My experiments with HD will be confined to my COMPUTER and my computer display.

That's where it stops for me.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Jerry,

Your DVD collection sounds like mine. Those old classic Star Trek conversions to DVD look fantastic don't they? I love the way those guys lit the scenes, they were real masters. I've read they could light a scene in about 5 or 10 minutes. A lot of the drama in those old shows was really in the lighting. And of course the great lighting is why they still look so great today.

SD MPEG-2 really does need about 6-8Megabits/second to look absolutely clean and smooth. And of course you have to have great source material.

Except for a few short trade show demos I haven't seen HD content on a plasma or LCD large screen, ie over 37" that looks as flawless as DVD's.

And yes, the thought of rebuying my entire DVD collections is not a good one. They should allow some type of trade-up program but alas they surely will not.

In fact, I bet the execs are drooling and wiping their sweaty little hands together at the thought of re-releasing their ENTIRE catalogs in high-def.

THEN THEY'LL DO IT AGAIN WITH THE BONUS MATERIAL!!!

Yes, that is how we'll truly know if they plan to screw us. If they release in HD without the bonus material we know they are really out to milk us for every penny.

I'm so pissed off at Comcast cable I can't even tell you. SD channels into my 32" JVC tube TV break up whenever there is fast motion and there are other low bandwidth related problems. I call to complain and they act like "what's wrong?" What's wrong?!!! I'm paying $115 a month (internet too) for picture quality that is absolutely STARVED for bandwidth!!!

Is the skin on a persons face supposed to be moving around like that?

We'll wait together...

Mark
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
      X