Pricing Getting Better: Digital 8 Decks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing Getting Better: Digital 8 Decks

For those of us who love cheap prices... the cost of Digital 8 decks appears to be going down - $575 in the U.S. - as you can see here:

http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/it...p?item_id=2082

That's hardly a good deal however, when you consider that you can buy a Sony DCR-TRV130 Digital8 camcorder for $519.98 at the same place. Why settle for just a deck (no optics, no CCD, no LCD monitor), when you can buy a camcorder for LESS money?

www.hotbuyselectronics.com/company_list.asp?category=3&company=122

Comment

Is it me or are the guys setting the MSRP's living on wacky tabaccy?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wally, good points about the DCR-TRV130 lacking some features (if you need them). However, all the current D8 camcorders can record in LP mode. The DCR-TRV230 you mentioned has AVin->DVout passthru, can digitize your old Hi8 tapes, and (drum roll please) is a whole $5 more than the GV-D200 deck.

Comment

My point wasn't to say the deck was necessarily better for all people than buying a 230.

Personally, I would buy the 230 (not the 130) as it has the analog conversion as Wally mentioned.

My point was to simply note the prices are falling on Digital 8 decks.

The model above is about $400 less expensive than the mini DV unit being sold by Sony.

In addition, these decks are built to be used as decks and I suspect camcorders may be slightly less hardy over the long haul when used as editing decks.

[This message has been edited by Jerrold Jones (edited 08 June 2001).]

Comment

By the way... Patrick... the TRV230 sells for as low as $495 on some Web sites.

Comment

$495 eh? Not bad...

Jerrold, I would agree with you if, and only if, someone in the know would actually state that the GV-D200 deck has more robust innards than a D8 camcorder. Keep in mind that this is NOT a full size deck. There used to be a Sony tech who posted at this site. I wish he would give us some (pardon the pun) inside info.

Comment

Is Sony's MiniDV (GV-D300) the cheapest MiniDV deck out there with Firewire and device control (also pass-through is nice). JVC has a MiniDV/S-VHS machine for around a scant $1400, but the specs I read did not mention pass-through.

Also, has Sony made licensing available to other manufacturers to produce Digital8 equipment? That would be nice if they did....greedy, money-grubbing @!!$%@#$^. Don't they know us hobbyists/moon-lighters have to pay for other stuff as well, like food for the kids??? 8P

And about the GV-D200 pricing versus a D8 camcorder with like features: Sony really needs to point out and emphasize why anyone should buy just a deck, when obviously, for the same $$$, you get more for the money buying the camera.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
                  Is it me or are the guys setting the MSRP's living on wacky tabaccy?

Dr. Mordrid
                  </font>
                  Question is though Doc, would they be willing to share it around ?

[This message has been edited by This_Idiot (edited 08 June 2001).]

Comment

Digital 8 camcorders are now being sold by Hitachi, but they are very low-end units...

...the ones I saw didn't have the analog to digital conversion capability.

I wish more manufacturers would get into the game because Digital 8 camcorders really do have a lot of features (analog-to-digital conversion for example) for the money and if they would offer a three-chip unit... that would be very cool.

Comment

Probably true Doc, maybe some of Sony's engineer's too.

If I read the specs right (or could have been a misprint) These might have a new LP mode that gets more recording time on the tape than what your camcorder can do.

Of course making tapes that can *only* be played back on these decks seems a mighty stupid idea -- especially if they don't catch on and get discontinued.

The TRV-130 is crippleware. Lacks the AVin->DVout passthru and can't digitize your old Hi8 tapes. You need the more expensive TRV-230 or the older TRV-120 if you can still find one.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
                      X