Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinTV to WinTV-PVR upgrade program?

Hello,

Every once in a while, I check out Hauppage's website for new drivers and such. I looked under their 'Accessories' section and noticed the following statement:

Note: If you have a WinTV-PVR, the WinTV Scheduler will also schedule your TV recording. If you don't have a WinTV-PVR, ask about our upgrade program by clicking here.

The e-mail address they gave was for their sales department (sales@hauppauge.com).

Does anyone have a clue about this?

Thank you

The scheduler does pretty much what PC-VCR's timer does; it starts recording at a preset time/channel for a set duration.

As for the PVR, forget it. Not very good MPEG-2 capure quality.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thank you, but I was kind of interested in the details of the upgrade.

The PVR that I play around with is really nice for TiVo-like features. The MPEG2 is very good for TV recording/playback (crank it to 12mb/s 720x480 NTSC), but agree it does not compare to traditional methods for VCD/SVCD. However, there is a time and place for everything.

It works great as a part of a home unit (I hear you chuckling , but it is a fun hobby). The system used is a PentiumII-500. TV Tuner, VCR, FM Radio, CD/MP3 player, TiVo, etc all in one machine with one remote.

I'd like to setup another one for a family member. Hey, can't just throw old parts away

If interested, this is a very useful program to play with:
      http://www.showshifter.com

That works much nicer than PC-VCR for entertainment purposes. The developers really thought it out. It works really well with remote controls as well.

Hint, hint, hint (pay attention future YUY2 users): Showshifter comes with a valid copy of PIC MJPEG.

Comment

Why do you say that?

The samples I've downloaded from the web look as good as any real-time hardware MPEG2 I've seen and better than any real-time software samples. Admittedly I've no details about the source and settings but when it works it seems the PVR does about as good as the Dazzle DVC-II and much better than Ligos real time software.

I may try the DVC-II or PVR now that local places with good return policies are starting to carry them. They won't renew their stock if the return rate is too high, so I usually wait a bit to see what happens.

I tried the Hollywood Bridge because Fry's had it, then they didn't, and then they did again. So my system isn't foolproof :-(

--wally.

Comment

Wally,

I think you are in a PAL area. If that is right, be sure to get the latest iteration of the hardware. Several big issues were fixed with it. You can tell by looking at the Rev on the tuner.

Look at the FAQ on this site:
          http://superhighspeed.50megs.com/

Apparently, Hauppage is paying attention to their users. They are replacing cards for free for anyone who has this problem.

[This message has been edited by AndrewDV (edited 05 June 2001).]

Comment

Thank's dudes!

I didn't even have to ask about this card before I got allot of the answers I wanted...

I'm upgrading my grafic-card (Matrox Marvel G400) to a Geforce 2 GTS and I now allso need a new editing card and the PVR sounds great for this (no more droped frams =).

If anyone has anything bad to say about this card please do so as soon as possible.

And Doc I have seen some clips captured with this card and I must say I don't know what you mean when you say the quality isnt that great would you like to explain this a bit more please?

I live in PAL region (Sweden) so I'll be sure to check so I get a new card with out the stripes problem!

Regards

/Cyberhof

Comment

How the hell do you pronounce *Hauppage* anyway?
              Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

HawPawg
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hop Hog

Comment

No no no no no

It's spelt Hauppauge

"whore pawj"

(aksherly I just looked it up, cos I've always thought of it as "happuage" in a kinda Frenchie accent)

Chris
                    (T_I)

Comment

Working...
                    X