Audio playback problem with MPEG files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio playback problem with MPEG files

I have a Marvel G400 and Soundblaster audio card. I have just begun encoding MPEG files for placing on CD. I captured an avi and this plays back fine (that is, audio and video). Using TMPGenc i then encoded this avi to MPEG-1 (I have done MPEG-2 as well).
    Playing back the MPEG file works fine. On my PC I get both audio and video on screen.
    However ... on my TV monitor I only get video - sound is completely absent. The MPEG file is playing back through the G400 capture card. Why would the card not be passing the audio through?

Hans Gelton.

I have the same problem, very happy if someone could post a trick or at least an explanation.
    Asus A7M266-D
    AMD Dual Athlon XP1800+
    DDR PC2100 512(2 x 256) MB
    Ge Force 2 MX400 - 64 MB
    OHCI 1394 controller
    Panasonic NV-DS15 Pal (DV in enabled)
    HD IBM 60 GXP 7200 rpm 60 GB (system)
    HD WD Caviar 7200 rpm 60 GB

Adobe Premiere 6.01
    Windows XP Pro

Comment

Do you get audio out using ANY codec (especially Matrox' own) ?

A lot of people miss the BOB out completely for audio, just connecting the audio inputs directly to the outputs.

Chris
      (T_I)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by This_Idiot:
        Do you get audio out using ANY codec (especially Matrox' own) ?

A lot of people miss the BOB out completely for audio, just connecting the audio inputs directly to the outputs.

Chris
        (T_I)
        </font>
        Yes, I get audio out playing back avi files (matrox mjpegs). The MPG file was produced from one of these avis. And yes I am using the BOB as I would normally. I have just produced another MPEG-2 file and burned this as a Super VCD. I am taking this to someone who has a DVD player to see if playback from a CD makes any difference - that is if I get sound this time. I will report on the result.
        Hans Gelton.

Comment

Connecting the Bob from my onboard audio AC97 output audio works in any formats, from PCI 128 not.

sergio
          Asus A7M266-D
          AMD Dual Athlon XP1800+
          DDR PC2100 512(2 x 256) MB
          Ge Force 2 MX400 - 64 MB
          OHCI 1394 controller
          Panasonic NV-DS15 Pal (DV in enabled)
          HD IBM 60 GXP 7200 rpm 60 GB (system)
          HD WD Caviar 7200 rpm 60 GB

Adobe Premiere 6.01
          Windows XP Pro

Comment

I think I have found some answers regarding the audio problem with MPEG files.
            Yesterday I made 2 CD's from MPEG - One a standard VCD the other a SVCD.
            This morning I was able to play both on a stand-alone DVD player and there were no sound problems evident.
            This suggests to me that stand-alone players have decoding for both video and audio, whereas windows media player does not appear to have decoding (codec) for the sound component of MPEG files. Maybe the latest version of windows media player has this, as I am working with an old version.

All this being the case, I am now not so concerned to be without sound on my TV monitor as I can still hear sound from the PC monitor.

Comment

Hi

Had a problem with one sound card where the output was there, no matter which player used, but the audio levels themselves were too weak going out to tape.

mikie

Comment

Working...
              X