Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry,

We have to stop meeting like this

I too visit the other boards and mug-sw for all the information I can get on this stuff. Too much information isn't bad for me, is it?

I wish there was just one forum out there in cyberland that I can stick to to get all my information and help.

Comment

Does the Panasonic have burn-proof?

The Pioneer has Burn-Proof for DVD, so no expensive coasters.

J-kun

Comment

DVD blank discs still pricey at $10. That is 20x more expensive than CDroms, but only 7x more storage. Yeah it's conveniant but still the DVD are a version 1.0 for the consumer level...wait until next year for a a better product.

Comment

Not even that long. The proper term is "bandwagon". Expect more announcements soon and significant discounting of both the hardware and media soon after.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Also interesting:

Gary Bettan of The Electronic Mailbox advises that by the end of this year... all new DVD players will be able to read the "mini DVDs."

(CDs with DVD content burned onto them.)

Comment

I've thought that would be a "natural" evolution for some time, especially for the production of those 30 minute instructional videos.

Instead of the VHS you get with your vacuum cleaner/sewing machine etc. you would get a miniDVD.

It would certainly be cheaper to produce than a VHS and given the spread of DVD decks....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 21 June 2001).]

Comment

Exactly Doc,

You can create a mini DVD Master and dup 1000 copies with the same quality, as supposed to the VHS's second or even third gen loss sometimes + the wear and tear on the tape.
                Mini DVD's will last a life time (100 years) if stored properly.

I'm actually looking forward to some more price drops and a single industry standard that all manufacturer's agree upon.

Cheers,
                Elie

Comment

I have a question:

I recall seeing something about the Pioneer drive being able to burn to DVD-RW's once the spec has been ratified. I think I've even seen some postings on other furoms that suggest that DVD-RW's are already here and usable in the Pioneer drive. Can anyone confirm that?

So, will the Panasonic RAMBO drive be able to burn to DVD-RW's as well in future (say with a firmware upgrade) or will it not ever be compatible because it rewrites in the DVD-RAM world only?

Anyone know?

Comment

Color me confused, but isn't DVD-RAM the one that fits in a cartridge? If so, will you be required to fit a DVD-R into a (temporary) cartridge for burning purposes?

The 1x DVD-R speed is the one hangup I have compared to the Pioneer. Hmm, is enduring an hour of burning time worth saving a couple hundred dollars? 30 minutes seems managable, but an hour, man that is a major time sink.

Of course we could all wait another 6 months and there probably will be yet another affordable drive that does do 2x (or more!)

Comment

Going by the info I have on the Hitachi DVD Camcorder that uses DVD-RAM the disk can be removed from the cartridge and placed in a PC DVD ROM.

paulw

Comment

Working...
                      X