Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulead & Vista

Here's their new page regarding Vista compatibility;

Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

Will My Ulead Software work with Vista?

At Ulead, we have been following the development of Windows Vista from the days when it was called Longhorn. We are actively engaged in the Microsoft Windows Vista Certification Program.

Ulead is committed to delivering Vista support for all its major products. For existing products that require it, we will be releasing downloadable patches, and for future versions, Vista compatibility will be built in.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's going to be some time before I can buy a new computer to run Vista.

In the meantime, I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

From what I've seen on Vista it is nothing but bloat. I'm sure Adobe will be the first off the blocks with Vista only software just like they were with Premiere and WinXP..
      paulw

Comment

It looks nice:

Adam and Will have the new Era 2 case in the lab and they're putting it through the wringer.

Notice how it looks like the Apple operating system.

However, some individuals will get the most out of it by buying a new computer.

The video display adapter and HDMI are now key components of any computer upgrade.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Actually "VideoStudio 10 Vista" will be the 1st Vista-certified video editing software. Dunno the exact date, but soon. Then come the patches for everything else, if required.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My knee jerk reaction is bloat-ware but I'm going to try and reserve judgement until I work with the product.

Right now XP is completely transparent to me, which I think is how a OS should ideally be, you don't notice it.

I just hope MS provides easy ways to turn all that junk off.

- Mark
            - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Get the basic version. IIRC it comes without the fancy stuff.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It is pure bloatware. I've been running the RC for a couple of months. The basic installation is 10 Gby of hard disk space. It offers me nothing useful that I don't already have in XP, except that I can't install an essential 2-way firewall or any of about 20 softwares that I use regularly. The "downgrader" to XP or earlier does not work for me. Even the Office 2007 beta has more bugs under Vista than under XP! (e.g., English-language Thesaurus does not work under Vista)

Personally, I believe that an OS which will not use existing software is useless. Why should software authors have to rewrite their proggies just because Lord High and Mighty Microcrap wave a wand and decree that it shall be so? This is an expensive process for hundreds of companies, just so that the authors do not have to bother to write a compatible OS.

IMHO, it will not be ready for general use for at least another year. Sales to corporations will certainly not take off before then.

One good thing: the desktop looks better, having lost the "Fisher-Price" look.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I did install Vista to a removable boot HDD in an AMD X2 rig.

Idle mem use XP: 300m
                  Idle mem use Vista: 740m
                  Slightly better use of a dualcore.
                  Most folders faster to open, some slower.
                  A bit faster/snappier, but probably because it's caching 400+m

Bloatware. They should have just issued SP3 for XP with whatever patches needed for multiple cores instead of re-inventing the @$&*!#* wheel.

If Ulead, Adobe etc. offered Linux-ware I'd switch everything in a heartbeat. Other than the video s/w & FireFox/TBird all I need is Oo2 anyhow.

Saw Balmer on TV last night and he of course was saying it's perfect & the best thing since sliced bread. Dunno WTF he's smoking these days....
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2006, 08:03.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have to admit I'm not really up to speed on Vista.

Are you guys saying "old" software doesn't run, or run correctly on the 32bit version of Vista?

I would expect all "old" 32bit software not to run (or in emulation) on the 64bit version of Vista but not the 32bit version.

Pretty much the only advantage I see to Vista is the 64bit version since it has a new kernel, regesters, etc... for 64bit operation. Eventually when all software is available in 64bit version I can imagine there being performance advantages.

Until then everything that Vista is doing, except running 64but code natively, could have happened in an SP3 XP service pack, as Doc said.

I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a while.

- Mark
                    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Some 32 bit software won't install, some will install and not run, some will work seamlessly and all this on 32-bit Vista bloatware. I have not had a single case of either of the first two do better with the XP emulating "downgrader"

You may be right about 64-bit working better, but I have no means of knowing

RC2, at least, is crapware and I'm certainly not going to risk a lot of spondulacs buying the released version, considering the time interval between RC2 and yesterday was only a few weeks, so they have not had time to correct and test the reported bugs (and there were many). What gets me the most is that Micros..t still have only a 1-way firewall but they have arranged things so that 2-way ones cannot be installed. This is immoral.

Comment

Running Vista Ultimate RTM on this laptop (Dell XPS Gen 2)...

honestly, this is the most hassle free installation of any windows I have done since installing Windows 98 on a 486DX4. And this is a hell of a lot faster than that ever was.

The only drivers I had to install by hand was the Video drivers - everything else either came in box or downloaded from WU. The only software I need to install utility wise is Antivirus software. Almost all of the little utilities that I used to run on this laptop have had their functionality included (advanced power management, etc)

After a rather horrid experience with the betas I played with, I was really incredably suprised as to how fast and compatable the RTM build is. It's quite amazing. Funny thing is that it has so far been a lot less annoying and nagging than XP ever was. Plus, it's quite nice seeing a lot of the early ideas they had polished and refined a lot. Not quite perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than XP was at RTM.

And no, a lot of what Vista does could not have been put into XP SP3. Right now it is hard to see the improvement, but over the next year or two you will start seeing more and more things that are only possible because of the changes.

last time I played with the 64bit build, it was worse off than the 32bit ones. Granted, this was over a year ago. But.. yeah... it sucked hard. If it has been through the same kind of improvements that the x86 builds have been through, than it might be good. in the mean time, the x64 builds are only going to be useful if you are running professional applications that are Vista x64 certified. They implimented quite a few security model changes that will likely interfere with the average user.

anyways, your milage may vary. As I get my computer shit unpacked I'll be playing with it on various computers...
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It's all just another ploy to extract money from our wallets, in my opinion.

Heck, these days my standard definition DV camcorders are being used for backpacking and mountaineering and other "outdoor" pursuits.

If I were to upgrade everything to support HDV, AVCHD, with PCI Express, Avivo, etc., I'd not have enough money to enjoy all of these outdoor activities.

I'd be taking high definition pictures of my hallway.

To ____ with 'em, I say.

Windows XP Home works well enough for me.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                            Some 32 bit software won't install, some will install and not run, some will work seamlessly and all this on 32-bit Vista bloatware. I have not had a single case of either of the first two do better with the XP emulating "downgrader"

You may be right about 64-bit working better, but I have no means of knowing

RC2, at least, is crapware and I'm certainly not going to risk a lot of spondulacs buying the released version, considering the time interval between RC2 and yesterday was only a few weeks, so they have not had time to correct and test the reported bugs (and there were many). What gets me the most is that Micros..t still have only a 1-way firewall but they have arranged things so that 2-way ones cannot be installed. This is immoral.

"spondulacs"

Brian - Does that mean money? Never heard that experession before!

- Mark
                            - Mark

Comment

Oxford:
                              spondulick
                              /spQn"dju;lIk/
                              slang. Also spondulik -ac. Pl. -i(c)ks, -ix. -acs M19.
                              [Origin unkn.]

In pl., money, cash. Also occas. sing., a piece of money, a coin.

Comment

Working...
                              X