Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jahshaka - open source video

Not fully tested yet, but looks interesting;

Jahshaka covers the bases; editing, compositing, keying, mixing, animation, painting, etc. for both SD and HD. Windows, Ubuntu Linux, Fedora Core 5 and OSX.

Home: http://www.jahshaka.org/content/blogcategory/1/46/

Screenshots
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 December 2006, 17:04.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yes, but did you try this one? (or Cinerella )

BTW, I'm impressed by Joomla! (powering thei site), especially screenshots.

Comment

Did you actually try Jahshaka or did you just read the hype on their website? I have tried to persevere with it, having printed out the doc, read through some of the forums and tried on many occasions. It is user-unfriendly and crashes at the drop of a hat. Yes, I got it working with various still photos and audio files, but it just crashes out if you try to put a DV type 1 or 2 AVI file on its desktop. The only video it accepts is mpg. It will not accept network working, either.

I'm sorry, but I think WMM is better and this view is supported by a number of the forum posts.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Ran into that problem after extended use, but initially it looked/acted pretty decent. Not as good as Cinerella though.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The problem with Cinerella is that it is Linux only and, even then, not all Linux versions. I have had it to the back teeth with Linux. Apps that work in one distro don't with another. I have Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu and none of them install out of the virtual box and, if I get one working, you can bet your bottom dollar it will work only for a different app than the one I want to use. Even Win does better than that. A lot of the problems are related to hardware drivers. Ubuntu, for example doesn't like my Intel graphics: I can get it working from the CD, but it refuses to install. Suse, on the same computer refuses to know my AC-97 sound chips and Fedora/Red Hat doesn't like my Realtek network chip. Yet the m/b is a very common Intel one and all three of these items belong to the m/b! I've given up on Linux

Comment

Intel graphics, AC-97 audio & Realtek networking?

I'd lay down a chorus line of emoticons, but that would be mean
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Maybe so, but that is my general-purpose rig, with a 3 GHz HT CPU and 1 Gb dual channel 800 MHz FSB rig, which I use for testing. I have little doubt that hundreds of thousands of similar rigs have been sold, with the same set-up. Even Vista Ultimate installs on it and works fine (no Aero or whatever they call it and no drivers for my HP scanner, but otherwise 100% functional). No problems with many demanding apps, such as MSP, DVDWS, Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition, Vutrax ECAD autorouting etc. so why not Linux? When someone produces a distro that installs faultlessly with all the necessary drivers, I may reconsider, but until then...

Comment

Why Linux...I'm not sure. Intel GFX should be perfectly supported (actually Intel is the only big GFX player who opensourced their drivers/etc.). Same with Realtek (however crappy their hardware is, they do support open source developers)And if audi isn't weird it should be fine too...
                But I wonder - when did you last try Ubuntu? I remember exact problem on my G400 with one of earlier versions, when LiveCD (essentially Knoppix in discuise) and install CD were separate. However now they are essentially the same thing, also physically.
                Also nice things about Ubuntu is that its community is quite active and friendly www.ubuntuforums.org

Comment

v. 6.06 LTS (long-term support). I haven't tried v. 6.10, but it seems that there are no driver improvements mentioned, mainly auxiliary software and a different splash screen.

Comment

Try Linux Mint.

I have changed official UBUNTU by Mint 2.0. Is the same, but multimedia READY.
                    Also tested Mint 2.1, but I don't like it.
                    For me, better 2.0.

Try also MainActor. Something like Premiere 6 mixed with Ulead Media Studio 5 or 6, more or less. Quite usable.

But video speaking, at last, Linux is five years (or more) rear Windows or Mac OS X (or Classic!!!). In desktop video it hasn't take off. Let's see this 2007 what happen.

Comment

Just out of curiosity (silly me!) I downloaded the Ubuntu 6.10 iso.

Checked the disk: OK.

Started it up. After watching the orange maggot going backwards and forwards for what seemed like an eternity (without the usual screed about what it was doing), it went black and then I got a series of messages to the effect of hdb: ide_intr: huh? expected NULL handler on exit and Buffer I/O error on device hdb - and that was that.

This surprised me because hdb is not an IDE device but SATA (which v. 6.06 recognised as SCSI but accepted). Just to check, I a) did a complete series of diagnostic tests on the drive: passed everything with flying colours and b) tried the 6.06 disc and it worked as far as the desktop and its apps, but would not install as usual.

As I said, until there is a distro that installs on any machine "from the box", I refuse to consider Linux as serious. I HATE Windows, but I have no choice.

I'm not trying Mint, as it is just a rehashed Ubunu.

Comment

I noticed you didn't try OpenSUSE, might work well, who knows...
                        (and really www.ubuntuforums.org has great community; and anyway I'm not sure what the problem might be, haven't heard about such serious ones with Ubuntu recently; OTOH I seem to remember that on some systems with integrated GFX/main ram there's something to do in the BIOS to get it running...)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

I'm not trying Mint, as it is just a rehashed Ubunu.

Try it

ubuntu is a customized debian.
                          mint is a customized ubuntu and, of course, is a debian.

Try it because it could work. And it's free.

Comment

well, new thing:

Comment

Working...
                            X