• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First HD DVD on bittorrent

More proof that they're wasting their time with HD DRM;

Serenity broken

By John Leyden → More by this author
    Published Thursday 18th January 2007 17:05 GMT

A high-definition format movie has made its way onto BitTorrent. A pirated copy of the hit science fiction movie Serenity has been ripped from a HD DVD disc and made available to users of the popular P2P file sharing protocol.

The availability of the movie, which weighs in at a chunky 19.6GB and comes as a .EVO file compressed using the MPEG-4 VC-1, follows news a month ago that hackers had succeeded in defeating the AACS copy-protection technology used in HD DVD format discs. A Java-based software package called BackupHDDVD, developed by a programmer known only as Muslix64, is designed to allow users to backup next generation discs.

To decrypt DVD source material would require obtaining a disc's disc's volume or title key separately, a non-trivial task not performed by BackupHDDVD itself. Hackers may have obtained the key separately before using BackupHDDVD, Ars Technica speculates.

But since the exact mechanism used to rip the HD-DVD remains unclear content producers publishing to the next-generation format have inherited a serious problem the rest of the movie and music industry have been struggling to deal with for years.
    Other hackers have reported schemes for recovering the key from memory.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I don't really see the point of downloading a 20Gig file. That would cost me more than buying the HD DVD..
    paulw

Comment

seems that Muslix64 hacked Blue Ray aswell now
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
      X