Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corel VideoStudio 11's Import AVCHD Broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess what?

Just when I thought everything was working, I open Ulead DVD Workshop 2 and check to see if the update patch fixed the subtitle truncation bug.

Well, this is the big answer... and the big surprise.

There seems to be a conflict between Corel Ulead DVD Workshop 2 and Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

1. If you install Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus last, then the Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus IMPORT FROM DVD/DVD-VR capture plug-in works, but the subtitle truncation bug in DVD Workshop 2 returns.

2. If you install DVD Workshop 2 last, then the subtitle truncation bug is fixed, but the IMPORT FROM DVD/DVD-VR capture plug-in doesn't work.

It seems the common folder for Ulead programs is the culprit.

So I decided to rollback my installation again.Then I decided not to install Corel Ulead DVD Workshop 2.

Now everything seems to be working.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

I wonder...

Would it be possible to create a new, unique USER ACCOUNT in Windows XP Home?

Would this force DVD Workshop 2 to keep its patch files to itself?

Would the program run under such an account?

Or does it require Administrator log-on?

Jerry Jones

Comment

Scratch that idea; doesn't work.

I'm afraid I believe this DVD Workshop 2/VideoStudio 11 Plus common files conflict is one of the most unprofessional software issues I've encountered in a long time.

Alas, this will be my last Ulead software purchase unless they fix this.

I never thought I'd say that.

Jerry Jones
        Last edited by Jerry Jones; 29 May 2007, 14:09.

Comment

Sony HDR SR1 and Ulead VideoStudio 11

I notice in your post you are talking about .m2ts format. My camera (about a month old) has .mts files on it. I can't get Ulead to open these files directly, nor using the Capture Import from DVD/DVD-VR either from a DVD with the files copied from the camera (the camera does appear as a removable drive), or from the camera directly. The option to select the folder/file is always grayed out.

Hasn't Corel figured out how to handle these files yet? Is it that difficult to point the capture dialog to a set of files and then import them? Why are your files .m2ts format and mine are .mts (straight off the camera)?

Is there some way to determine if the Corel software is working at all? I don't have an older camera to test the import.

Does someone know of software that really does work with the Sony HDR-SR1 .MTS files?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

John

Comment

What Corel (Ulead) seems to have failed to do is to protect users against *installation conflicts* that arise from -- in my case -- the installation of Ulead DVD Workshop 2 *after* Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus (and vice-versa).

In other words, if you have Ulead DVD Workshop 2 on your computer... forget it... uninstall it.

These two programs -- in my opinion -- are not fully compatible due to the way Ulead programs overwrite the so-called "Ulead common files."

The unintended consequence of this "common files" overwriting problem is that loyal users of Ulead software would seem to be punished for being loyal users of Ulead software.

In my case, the Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus "IMPORT FROM DVD/DVD-VR" capture plug-in was rendered inoperable by the installation of Ulead DVD Workshop 2!

So -- to fix it -- I had to start all over again and *not* reinstall DVD Workshop 2.

Now, I have the VideoStudio 11 Plus "IMPORT FROM DVD/DVD-VR" capture plug-in working perfectly.

I've noticed that some AVCHD camcorders record to the .M2TS format and some record to the .M2T format.

Are you certain your files are ".MTS" format files?

1. Click START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES

2. Click WINDOWS EXPLORER and then browse to the location of your Sony HDR-SR1.

QUESTION ONE: Do the files recorded by your camcorder really show up as ".MTS" files?

QUESTION TWO: Or are they showing up as .M2T files?

If -- in VideoStudio 11 Plus -- you use the "IMPORT FROM DVD-DVD-VR" plug-in and the files recorded on your HDR-SR1 remain "greyed out," then I would suggest that you try using Windows Explorer to COPY and then PASTE the entire directory of your camcorder to your computer's hard disk.

Then open VideoStudio 11 Plus.

Then try the "IMPORT FROM DVD/DVD-VR" capture plug-in again, but browse to the location on your hard drive where the directory has been copied.

This should work.

Hope it helps,

Jerry Jones

Originally posted by cjhempe View Post
            I notice in your post you are talking about .m2ts format. My camera (about a month old) has .mts files on it. I can't get Ulead to open these files directly, nor using the Capture Import from DVD/DVD-VR either from a DVD with the files copied from the camera (the camera does appear as a removable drive), or from the camera directly. The option to select the folder/file is always grayed out.

Hasn't Corel figured out how to handle these files yet? Is it that difficult to point the capture dialog to a set of files and then import them? Why are your files .m2ts format and mine are .mts (straight off the camera)?

Is there some way to determine if the Corel software is working at all? I don't have an older camera to test the import.

Does someone know of software that really does work with the Sony HDR-SR1 .MTS files?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

John
            Last edited by Jerry Jones; 29 May 2007, 14:09.

Comment

Working...
            X