Hitachi develops 100GB Blu-Ray disc compatible with existing drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitachi develops 100GB Blu-Ray disc compatible with existing drives

Imagine a whole season (or maybe two) of HD on a single disc. Or the back-up possibilities.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Yeah, but how long will it take to write that much information to an optical disc?

The Blu-ray drives I've seen so far seem pretty slow.

Give me a big, fast hard disk instead.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Jerry, with everything, they will get faster.

When I bought my first DVD burner it was the pioneer 104 and it burned at max 2x. Now I have an 18x burner.

I'm glad the development of Blu-Ray is continuing, this will put tons of pressure on HD-DVD.

Cheers,
      Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Jones View Post
        Yeah, but how long will it take to write that much information to an optical disc?

The Blu-ray drives I've seen so far seem pretty slow.

Give me a big, fast hard disk instead.

Jerry Jones
        http://www.jonesgroup.net

This development is obviously a response to HD-DVD's triple layer 51GB disc.

You're forgetting that a big part of this market is the ROM section. As I said you can fit a lot of HD video on that disc. And for back-up or archiving old video projects the time to write to the disc isn't a big deal to me. Being able to take 70 or 80GB project and back the whole thing up to one disc, original files, everything seems like a great thing.
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Not at prices like this ($999.95):

Jerry Jones

Originally posted by Elie View Post
          this will put tons of pressure on HD-DVD. Elie

Comment

Or you could avoid the overpriced Apple hardware and buy this Blu-ray burner for less than half the price of the link you provided. Try $460 instead of $1000.

- Mark

Comment

Let me know when the price for a decent Blu-ray Disc drive drops to $200.

Jerry Jones
              I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Jerry Jones

Ha! That's right around where I'll bite. Of course the media will have to be reasonably priced too.
                - Mark

Comment

Jerry Jones

But then there will be no Blu-ray players to play it back on on HD DVD.
                  paulw

Comment

Working...
                  X