Apple: There's Something In The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple: There's Something In The Air

Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.

I wonder what this is all about.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Or http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...ng-macboo.html
    paulw

Comment

Whatever it is, I'm sure it comes from a controlled substance....
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Apple revealed the secret.

Introducing the all-new Apple MacBook Air...

MacBook Air 13- and 15-inch laptops, now with the superfast M3 chip, perfect for AI. Lightweight, with all-day battery life and Liquid Retina display.

...the world's thinnest notebook computer.

Gorgeous.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Oh well, I should've known better that they'll go into "ultraexpensive ultraportables direction". There's always Eee PC for the rest of us... (especially 2nd gen, supposedly cooled completelly passivelly). Or some future OLPC commercial offshots...

PS. BTW Jerry, what does this has to do with Desktop Video? There are other subforums here...

Comment

Also the new Apple TV.. http://www.apple.com/appletv/
            paulw

Comment

Okay I'm not an Apple guy but this thing is COOL! Way to go Apple for once again pushing the envelope. Products like this, even if they are out of the price range of most people, are important because they drive the industry to move forward and develop affordable small form factor notebooks.

Definitely a bad-ass product.
              - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

The MacBook Air with the 64GB flash drive is expensive, but imagine how cool it would be to open your notebook computer and -- pow -- no waiting for bootup... it's INSTANTLY ON.

I'd be willing to pay more for that.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Jones View Post
                  The MacBook Air with the 64GB flash drive is expensive, but imagine how cool it would be to open your notebook computer and -- pow -- no waiting for bootup... it's INSTANTLY ON.

I'd be willing to pay more for that.

Jerry Jones
                  http://www.jonesgroup.net
                  Only from suspend mode I suspect. I work with gear that usings flash hard disks and these thing take 30 seconds with DOS to boot up and 5 minutes for linux. Admitedly they are running processors that are equivalent to a 486 .. But it is a cool looking laptop..
                  paulw

Comment

Have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...s_deliver.html

The BBC commentator seems quite underwhelmed at the Jobs show. The blog comments are 99% on the Air (and many of them are negative, even from Macheads). The bloggers hardly mention downloading video. Maybe it's as dead as disco before it even gets off the ground, because $5 for the latest blockbuster for viewing over 24 hours seems expensive when I can buy DVDs for watching multiple times for about the same price, from play.com. I haven't rented a DVD for over 2 years but I have a large collection of bought DVDs, including reasonably up-to-date ones, such as the Bourne trilogy at €7 each average, delivered,, and the Ultimatum was released in PAL only last month (and was very disappointing, but that is not material!).
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

That seems a bit misleading, Brian.

"Rent a movie directly from Apple TV and you have 30 days to start watching."

Simply connect Apple TV, HomePod mini, and other accessories to experience a smart home that runs flawlessly across your devices.

Granted, once you start watching the movie, you then have 24 hours to finish watching it.

But your comment might cause some to think that the movie expires 24 hours after download, which isn't true.

I'm also somewhat disappointed in some aspects of the Apple TV announcement.

For example, I believe we should be able to buy -- and not just rent the HD films.

On balance, however, I think the really big reason to buy an APPLE TV is that this device can't be beat when it comes to the ease of use and the ability to organize vast collections of home-produced content.

In that respect, it's a high definition DVD killer.

That, of course, means that "HD DVD" and "Blu-ray Disc" are as dead as DISC-o.

Jerry Jones

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                      because $5 for the latest blockbuster for viewing over 24 hours seems expensive when I can buy DVDs for watching multiple times for about the same price, from play.com.

Comment

Trusted Reviews checked out the Air and wasn't so impressed.

They didn't like the lack of ethernet port, lack of firewire port, only 1 usb port, and it has a sealed battery.

Whether you’re after laptops, PCs or accessories tips, we're your one stop shop for computing buying advice, trusted product reviews and computing news.
                        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
                        X