Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season's Greetings

Hi,

For the last few years, we have sent out a short ad hoc video in the guise of a Greeting's Card. Unfortunately, this year, I've not been able to do this, so I wondered what to do instead. I looked through some of my video archives and came across a 20-year old clip that I thought I could share with you as it is quite amusing, even though it is pure ethnic tourism. I filmed it in Sarawak (Malaysian Borneo) and it shows a public performance of a comic dance supposed to represent the animist Penan culture. The Penan tribe, as opposed to the Iban headhunters, were a peaceful set of nomads who wandered through large stretches of the tropical rain forest hunting, with blowpipes, and gathering. Unfortunately, the tribe has been almost integrated into "civilisation" in both Malaysian Sarawak and Indonesian Kalimantan as the natural forest has disappeared to satisfy mainly Western greed for timber and palm oil.

To view the video, please click on the following private link:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

We hope you enjoy it. I apologise for the technical quality not being up to digital standards, but it was on analogue tape. By the way, as the subject is not seasonal, I framed it with pagan holly and berries, to add a festive touch!

The highlight of 2012 for us was the surprise visit this summer of daughter Catrina and granddaughter Faye for my 80th birthday. On the negative side, we are both getting older and health problems mean less mobility. The dog, Beardie, is also getting on as he is nearly 10, but still behaves like a puppy! He sends you a slobbery lick in greeting. However, we remain cheerful and we try to keep as physically and mentally active as possible.

I have added two new websites to our catalogue this year at:

All the very best for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Brian and Margaret (and Beardie!)
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Brian,

It's good to get your news. I thank you and reciprocate wishes for New Year.

Joe and Margaret
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Working...
    X