Haig - Please can you look at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haig/Olliver,

Deleting and reinstalling the AWE64 drivers didn't help but here's something that did.

I noticed in my win.ini I had the following setting :-

[mciavi]
    SkipFrames=0

When I changed this to 1, hey presto, the video is now playing at full speed and will fast forward although its obviously now skipping frames (on a PII 300 !!) so everything's a bit jerky.

I also noticed the following entry :-

[embedding]
    avifile=Video Clip,Movie Clip (AVI),c:\windows\mplayer.exe /avi,picture

Why's it trying to use the old media player? I've copied my mplayer2.exe to c:\windows\mplayer.exe but it made no difference.

Also, in
    Settings / Control Panel / Multimedia / Devices / Media Control Devices
    I noticed I have two entries for ActiveMovie MCI Driver.

I deleted them both and re-installed MediaPlayer 6.4 but they both re-appear.

Can somebody please check their win.ini and Multimedia settings and let me know what theirs says, thanks.

At least the problem's half solved now. If only it wasn't so jerky (or does everybody get this?)

Once again, thanks for your help everybody apart from SwampLady, who's comments have been interesting but not necessarily helpful (no offence).

Comment

Howdy. About your MCI entry. Active Movie has an MCI wrapper embedded in it that supports a couple of MCI commands. This is why anyone who has any Direct Show player or Active Movie player in the system willg et that MCI line.

SwAmPy

Comment

ScottV,

"[mciavi]
        SkipFrames=0" I don't have this entry in my win.ini
        ActiveMovie MCI Driver is listed once in the MCD of the Multimedia Properties.
        Reinstall Media Player version 6.01.05.0130
        Reinstall the 4.33 display drivers and the 1.21 video tools.

Olliver

------------------
        All comments and statements are purely of my own opinion and in no way reflect on my employer.
        All comments and statements are purely of my own opinion and in no way reflect on my employer.

Comment

Hi Scott,

I too don't have

[mciavi]
          SkipFrames=0

in my system and I'm using Media Player 6.2.

I haven't heard of this entry. I'll ask MS to see what this is about and let you know.

Have you installed any type of win98 updates.

Haig

Comment

Haig/Olliver,

I did install Win98 Service Pack 1 but I later uninstalled it (to try and get rid of this problem) but it made no difference.

I have tried reinstalling the Matrox drivers and video tools from scratch, followed by MSP 5.0 then the 5.2 upgrade. Still no joy.

Have also reinstalled media player 6.4 (is my version too new !!) I don't have an older version.

One thing that struck me is that the video in MSP preview is more pixelated (lower res) than when I play it in mediaplayer (by double-clicking .avi file in windows explorer).

I have never installed any other MJPEG codecs so I assume it must be using dmb1.

Could it be a problem with not finding hardware acceleration support, so its dropping the quality or something. I have no idea how these things work so if what I've said is a load of rubbish just ignore me.

Thanks

Comment

ScottV,

Alright lets look at a few things and see what comes up.

If you have ever installed the beta drivers 5.x use the uninstaller utility and then reinstall the 4.33 DD and the 1.21 VT. then

A- Control Panel/Multimedia/Devices/Video Compression Codecs here you should see RRIcm[dmb1] listed.

B-Video Capture Device - matrox VidCap Driver.

C- Device Manager(safe mode) one display adapter one monitor.

D- Device Manager/Performance/Graphics Hardware acceleration set to full.

E- Device Manager/Sound Video and Game Controllers - No WDM drivers loaded for the sound card.

F- Verify that there are no IRQ conflicts.

I'd like to get your e-mail address. You can contact This_Idiot and he will see to it that I get your address.-

Olliver

------------------

Comment

Hi SwAmPlAdY,

I can't claim to be a marathon man, but... "a few seconds of strength" and "never had a hard feeling" ... That's pretty harsh.

Sounds like maybe you need to send your husband to a gym and make him start working out. It definitely... uh... "improves performance."

Rick
                http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Howdy Rick. Max is 59 years old and I don't think that his heart can take ANY type of excercise

SwAmPy

Comment

Hi SwAmPy,

In that case, I'd say you should go easy on the poor guy...

Rick
                    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Working...
                    X