No announcement yet.

Digital Cameras depth of view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This still isn't a reason though, IMHO. Reviewers usually shoot resolution tests with small apertures, and customers would clearly welcome the option of having an additional aperture, even with not-perfect quality (or they wouldn't shoot digital, and certainly not all-in-ones - though the better of those are more than good enough for almost all people).

The Dimage 7/A lens performs best at F5.6 IIRC, BTW.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I think Steve has hit it on the nailhead. The diffraction effect for such a small aperature would indeed cause a meriad of headaches for the lens designer. AZ this is no small feat to deal with.

Funny how I keep finding my old Nikon 35mm setup fits the bill dispite it's size/weight/film drawbacks.

I've got an f2.8-32 range on my 100-300mm telephoto, miles ahead of anything pricewise a digital can touch.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Steve indeed has a good point.

Another issue could be the light fall-off: imaging sensors requires the light to hit the sensor almost perpendicular. If you have very small f-numbers, this could become an issue for the pixels near the edge of the sensor.
        (it could be solved by correcting the pixels in postprocessing, but this might introduce additional noise if the correction becomes too much)
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

These are all valid reasons but still, why have Fuji taken away the smallest aperture (for the same sensor size, and a lens that is at least similar to the old one), and why have Minolta managed to add a smaller aperture for the same lens and same sensor size?

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Minolta tries to improve their equipment, whereas Fuji thinks nobody cares ?

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Got to admit I wouldn't recommend the s7000 despite being fairly easy too use. Pictures tend to be too noisy even at iso of 200 so god knows what 800 is like.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X