No announcement yet.

Nikon Coolpix 8800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xortam, I'm too tired for that now, maybe tomorrow.

But they were VERY impressed with the Nikon Coolpix 8400, which has 24 (!) mm wide angle, 8 mp etc.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
      Don't mind at all.

It would ne nice if local shops had them in stock and then allowed you to try them.

Slip your memory card in take a few shots and then look at them at home to compare.
      Awfully sporting of you chap.

I've been able to play with the Canon S60 in a shop for a bit but I haven't looked at any images. I was just getting a feel for the controls and grip and such. They were a little nervous when I asked to walk out the front door with the cameras to test the display in sunlight but I was able to test all the candidate cameras. I haven't been to more than that one shop so I don't know how the other shops deal with customers these days. I don't know if any of the shops offer one the ability to actually externally review shots you've made with their cameras so you could do a careful critique.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by az
        ... they were VERY impressed with the Nikon Coolpix 8400, which has 24 (!) mm wide angle, 8 mp etc. ...
        That was the Nikon that I was referring to. A leading shop in the area recommended that camera when I asked for an alternative to the S70. The 8400 is just too big and heavy for my use (over 50 percent heavier) and much more expensive than the S70. dpreview only has a preview of the 8400 so I don't know how it tested in comparison to the S70 but it doesn't seem to offer much more than the S70 on paper ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...p8400&show=all ). The Nikon display isn't any bigger but has a slightly higher pixel count. I would really like a 2" or bigger display or some method of helping set up a shot better in bright sunlight (without extra equipment). I've played with the S60 a bit and I'm like the feel and controls. The S60 is the same body and controls as the S70 (mainly different color and improved sensor). The superior movie features of the Nikon would be welcomed.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I actually just got a Canon S70 yesterday as an upgrade from my S400. I'm totally new to cameras that actually let you set shutter speeds, aperture and such. I've only used point&shoot cameras up to now, so I can't give much input about how it compares to other cameras of its class. But it's definitely quite a step up from the S400. I'll post a few pics I took today in a separate thread. Hope you don't mind city scenery.

edit: More stuff.

The LCD is indeed difficult to use in bright sunlight. It seems to be fine otherwise though.

My batteries actually ran out today; then again I was out for about 7 hours and took a hundred something shots. Again, the S70 is the first camera of this class that I've owned, so I don't know how its battery life compares. It seems to be better than the S400's though.
          Last edited by Liquid Snake; 4 December 2004, 21:19.

Comment

Xortam: They don't have a review of the S70, I'm afraid.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              Xortam: They don't have a review of the S70, I'm afraid.

AZ
              Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
                ... The LCD is indeed difficult to use in bright sunlight. It seems to be fine otherwise though. …
                I checked out the Nikon 8400 and Canon S70 yesterday at a local shop. The S70 is clearly a better choice for me since the Nikon doesn't offer much for the extra size, weight, and cost. The viewfinders and displays are apparently all poor on these compact digicams so there's not much better choices out there. The Casio was somewhat better in this regard (2" LCD and slightly better viewfinder) but I need the wide angle. I'm now at the age where I also have to be concerned about using reading glasses with the camera. A good viewfinder would alleviate the need for glasses but I'd at least need them to read the controls until I got comfortable with the camera.
                ... My batteries actually ran out today; then again I was out for about 7 hours and took a hundred something shots. Again, the S70 is the first camera of this class that I've owned, so I don't know how its battery life compares. It seems to be better than the S400's though.
                It looks like I'll need a spare battery for a four day hike as none of them seem to be able to handle that long of a usage (a little more weight).

I'm going to order the S70 this morning ...

P.S. My first digicam will be arriving this Friday.
                Last edited by xortam; 5 December 2004, 15:29.

Comment

For the that price the 8800 costs I would buy a Nikon D70 instead.
                  I own an older Coolpix995, which is not bad at all, but I am tired about the electronical manual focusing.
                  Any AF is slow if the lighting is poor. I mean the time tha camera takes to decide the right (?) focus.
                  In fact I am "dreaming" about a D70.
                  Fred
                  It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                  ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X