Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filters

Just had a quick play with UV filter and Polarizing filters today.

The Polarizor you need a good camera as you have to up the iso level quite a bit. Cheapo camera forget it. I like how can alter the effects. Tree reflecting in the water spoiling the shot you can remove it. I should have some fun on a calm day and a lake.

UV I was really impressed how more balanced shots looked.

After my Nikon D80 I would say these are best things I bought.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

A clear UV filter (as often used to keep the front lens element clean) shouldn't have a visible effect on a digital camera as they are quite insensitive to UV light.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 16 May 2007, 20:43.

Comment

Thats the theroy but I noticed a differance. However buying a cheap polarizor was a mistake I think.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In case you didn't know, you need to use a circular polarizer with DSLRs. Regular linear ones will cause problems when the polarized light reflects off the mirrors on its way to the exposure and focus sensors.

Comment

Yep... lineair polarizers tend to mess up the metering and/or focussing system.
          A circular polarizer is in fact comprised of 2 parts: a lineair polarizer and a "wave retarder" which depolarizes the light. The first part filters out the light you want filtered out, the second part depolarizes this so that metering and focussing sensors still work. Consequently, IN THEORY, if you mount a circular polarizer the wrong way round, it can have the same effect as an ND filter.

But you don't necessarily need to up the ISO, just set a longer shuttertime (can yield very nice effects) or a larger aperture.

Jörg
          Last edited by VJ; 1 June 2007, 07:17.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            Yep... lineair polarizers tend to mess up the metering and/or focussing system.
            A circular polarizer is in fact comprised of 2 parts: a lineair polarizer and a "wave retarder" which depolarizes the light. The first part filters out the light you want filtered out, the second part depolarizes this so that metering and focussing sensors still work. Consequently, IN THEORY, if you mount a circular polarizer the wrong way round, it can have the same effect as an ND filter.

But you don't necessarily need to up the ISO, just set a longer shuttertime (can yield very nice effects) or a larger aperture.

Jörg

Depends what you're doing. If you taking landscapes and want it all in focus which I do you you need to go around f9 - f13 upwards.

Today though it proved it's worth capturing low cloud and fog with bright sun behind it.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
              Today though it proved it's worth capturing low cloud and fog with bright sun behind it.
              Fancy posting some with/without comparisons?
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                Depends what you're doing. If you taking landscapes and want it all in focus which I do you you need to go around f9 - f13 upwards.
                Entirely true...
                I just listed another of the 3 options you have to get more light.

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  Fancy posting some with/without comparisons?

Sadly I can't my isp has broken by upload speeds.

email UK Online Broadband Support <dsl.support@ukonline.net> and say what you're doing to this fantastic guy. Fix his connection.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X