No announcement yet.

Our latest snapshotter, but a mean one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our latest snapshotter, but a mean one.

A Canon A720 IS

8MP, 1/2.5 CCD, 6x optical zoom (35-210 mm equivalent), f2.8 - f8, 2.5" TFT LCD, zooming optical viewfinder (a BIG PLUS!), SD/SDHC/MMC/MMCPlus/HC MMCPlus.

A backup & snapshotter loaded with tons of features that so far seem to work very nicely. Price is a plus as they're available for ~$180 online.

IS = optical Image Stabilization, and it works. Full manual including focus; manual aperture; manual shutter; programmed (numerous modes & options); web 160x120 (200 min w/2 gig card) & 640x480 movies w/sound (unfortunately mono) and full auto; LCD on/off to save batteries when using the optical viewfinder (2-3x savings so far); face recognition (that works - up to 3 faces); low-light/night modes; auto red-eye removal (subtraction light on the cams front, not double flash); auto, manual and programmed white balance; image audio notes; automatic rotation of portrait mode shots; widescreen (ie: 16:9); 3:2 mode; a stitch assist mode, among a ton of others.

Manual focus in program modes; the center 1/3 of the frame is magnified aid in focussing. This includes macro focussing. Range 0" to infinity.

The front bezel comes off so you can mount accessory macro, telephoto and wide angle lenses. It's a twist mount.

Shutter lag: ~.25-.3 seconds on the first shot indoors, much less on subsequent shots to the same focus zone (remembers the last shots setting). Nice, especially in motor mode.

No hot shoe for a hotter flash, but a 35mm flash bracket that mounts to the screw adapter lets you mount an auto-sensing slave flash, and it has a program mode to use one. It also has 1st and 2nd curtain flash modes; 2nd curtain lets you shoot motion blurs, especially with things like car tail lights etc.

Pics & detailed opinions coming.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 March 2008, 07:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

i have the 710is - sweet little camera. Only wish it had the Digic III processor so it was faster between shots. But now that i can shoot raw

and correct white balance myself, i'm pretty happy

Comment

There is a CHDK build for the A720 IS in the works that includes RAW and remote USB shooting among other things. The delay is because with the A720 IS they changed the cams OS from Wind River's VxWorks to their own DryOS.

I'll probably wait 'til the consensus is that the hack is good then hack the cam.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have A700 (6MP, almost same housing), very much like it, fits in large pockets, one can shoot quickly. Is there a raw hack for that one also?

Comment

UtwigMU. Yes there is. It's the same hack. The A700 falls under the umbrella. I'm not having much luck with it though since I can't get my camera to shoot at all unless I turn off the flash. It's gotten steadily slower between flash recharges since i bought it two years ago and I think there is is a power connection issue. Repair or buy a new one? hrm...
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

The wife just added a Canon S5 IS to the stable. Also a very nice Digic III camera. Not a DSLR, actually a super-zoom, but it'll keep her away from my Rebel most of the time

It has what could best be described as a "color replace" mode. Select a color in the image while composing then a color to replace it with. Now select how many shades of it will be included and shoot. The new pic will include the color replacement.

Example: shot this one of a shrub in our front yard. There was a section of brown, dead leaves so I selected the brown and replaced it with a wine/coral shade. Neat effect IMO (image shrunk for MB's and fit);

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 March 2008, 00:19.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc I would be VERY interested in comparing the 720 to your Rebel. Now I fully realize it is not going to match up as an equal but I would like to see just how close it is. Or if you get the chance to run off those shots in 5x7 or 4x6 prints that would be helpful also.

My old and crusty (But still working) Minolta S414 could die any day and the wife would like to look for a camera for herself. Little does she know I would consider the A720 as an emergency on the spot backup to my 40D.

Or for that matter, why lug around the Dslr and all the gear if the only thing I am shooting is a casual event? Especially if the target output is email or small prints?

The ISO (noise) performance would be good to know as well. On my S414 anything over 200 is pretty much useless.
              Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

My experience is that the 710is is good up to 400 for 8x10 with little if any noticeable noise. And noise ninja can help even there.

Comment

Working...
                X