Star Trails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trails

Lets talk about the purple haze and what i am doing wrong in this thread. The problem could be that i read all about the right settings for star trails then couldnt remember them when i was in the middle of Big Bend National Park..
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Annoyingly i didn't have but 20 minutes to figure out the right settings so i never got them. I dont pretend to know the mechanics of photography, even simple photography. I really need to learn at some point.

Btw, i was trying to do this..

A different astronomy and space science related image is featured each day, along with a brief explanation.

not 11 hours worth but i figured a couple 5 minute shots might do something.

I just want to make sure the next time i actually visit Big Bend for a long period of time, i have the knowledge with me. I think this was the tutorial that i read a couple months ago..

www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

If anyone is interested in my trip last week, check out my blog for the decent non star trail pictures

wow i just hit 4,000 posts.
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

looks like an external light source. Even a flashlight would do it.

Comment

Do you think maybe the light is coming from the LCD monitor?

www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

If you have the option turn off the LCD and be wary of ALL light sources in the vicinity for the duration of the exposure. If that doesn't work then back to square one. It also could be an artifact of the D-Lighting feature. Try turning it off.

Personally I'd put it in B&W mode, full manual, infinity focus with a wide open lens and let 'er run the full 10 minutes the 8800 is capable of.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 April 2008, 19:12.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

For long exposures, the heat generated by the camera and CCD/CMOS can also start to yield image artefacts. On my D100, the hotest component is near the bottom of the CCD, and on long exposures (esp. after a couple of them), there starts to appear a greenish haze on the images (most noticably near the top of the image). Something similar might be happening here (heat from LCD, ...)

It does seem more like some external light source (street lights? cars drving around between those houses? moon?)...

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

This could be completely off base but besides turning off the LCD are you covering the viewfinder? When I am shooting long exposures on my Canon I cover the eyepiece. It even states in the manual something about stray light entering the eyepiece and throwing off your exposure.

Just a thought.
                Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

No i had not thought of that. that would explain a lot as my friend had the light on in the car that was behind me.
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by IM_Riktar View Post
                    This could be completely off base but besides turning off the LCD are you covering the viewfinder? When I am shooting long exposures on my Canon I cover the eyepiece. It even states in the manual something about stray light entering the eyepiece and throwing off your exposure.
                    Good call!
                    But I think that only is an issue on true SLR camera's, where the viewfinder provides a trough the lens view. On most compact camera's, IF they have a viewfinder, it it usually completely seperate from the lens and imager system.

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hey Liz, never mind knocking your ability because of a problem with long exposures, you take some fantastic shots.

I particularly like shots like http://bp3.blogger.com/_nNF1jD5F6Bw/...1600-h/no2.jpg and http://bp2.blogger.com/_nNF1jD5F6Bw/...bd7c6b50_p.jpg and http://bp3.blogger.com/_nNF1jD5F6Bw/...bd7c6b50_p.jpg

How do you get those effects?
                      FT.

Comment

Those first two were a bit sloppy, but i did them in a rush.

photomatrix pro http://www.hdrsoft.com/

I was trying to play with the lighting and make the gloomy sky just a dark night sky.
                        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

So presumably you are taking a series of exposure-bracketed images for each shot? Is that something your camera does automatically?
                          FT.

Comment

no i use a tripod and just change the settings manually, if not with a tripod, i be very still and theres a button in the program to align the images if need be
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I remember Fuji announcing a sensor design that interspersed the regular small elements with larger ones in order to increase the overall dynamic range. I wonder if these have had any great impact. Clearly the result would be different to your post processing.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X